i don't reallly know where to post this

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Evasura
Power poster

i don't reallly know where to post this

Post by Evasura »

As it is a bit of everything...a rant?the reality of job search?...of the way people see us? of writing job applications?...
So, I'm filling the application form for this job, and my friend (the one who always helps me with maths and check my grammar and silly mistakes who is a saint an really patient with me) says that first of all, I cannot write that I cannot do maths because I WILL JUST NOT BE SHORT-LISTED). I have to pretend that I can do maths (despite of not being in the job description), then once I get the interview (as the rest of my skills and my personal statement are very good in concept but they need refrasing because employers need to see that you are telling them what they want to hear) I have to try to avoid the maths topic. Once I get the job, I cannot show or say that I cannot do maths, but I will have to pretend to delegate tasks to someone in the team who is good for maths (but nobody can realise). In the personal description there is a point that says that I have to show evidence that I am a resilient person, I have written that an evidence that I am a resilient person is that despite of finding difficult to organise my work place and maths and all that, I have turned those weaknesses into strengths, apparently I cannot write that either, because I cannot show that I have difficulties with maths and organization. There is a lot of crap in the personal description, that keeps on repeating the same things for evidence of the same things over and over again. I say that some things are really obvious and they are implied in other things that I have said. NO! WRONG! you have to state the obvious and just say the same things in a different way, using the employers words. Basically, you just have to make things up and include a lot of jargon. That is the reality of job search.You cannot tell the truth about yourself, you have to hide who you are, even that means that you are very resilient and hard working and understanding and approachable and effective and with very good skills on IT, and the job spec. None of that matters if you cannot say it their own stupid language.
There you are. Getting in your minds, because that seems to be the reality of job search
PS1: I love the forum's spell checker (or maybe is the New Windows 7, which checks everything I write anywhere)

PS2: I am having my assessment on Saturday! It my be useless for job search, but I guess it will help me to get in peace of mind and find some more strategies.

Thanks for reading (if you read it,as it's long and depressing, but a reality)
Eva in London
agsiul
Power poster

Re: i don't reallly know where to post this

Post by agsiul »

Sounds like you had a rough day. I know how you feel. I used to get my mother to help me with forms and things so that I wouldn't write down gibberish but eventually the upside couldn't justify the downside, she's a maipulative bully, so had to start doing stuff on my own...it's tough going cause when I say to other people that I need help they poo-poo me. It's tough having to keep it hidden.
littlemissbump14
Getting settled in

Post by littlemissbump14 »

You have my sympathy!!
I've got all that fun to come, I'm still a student atm, and so have only ever had temp type jobs that a monkey could do!
It does seem ridiculos how people are assessed to get a job these days, you can be he perfect canditate- but if you can't jump through their hoops to show it you get discounted- stupid! Although, it's no just a dyspraxic thing (not sure if that makes it better or worse though?). My dad (who is 'normal') got made redundant and tried to find a new job. HE couldn't so after a while he decided to apply for jobs a step down from his previous position. However, he still couldn't get a job as then the people said he was overqualified- basically meaning that they were worried he would get their job. It's ridiculuos!
The whole system seem to be that we must prove ourselves perfect- even though we aren't which we well know- as does the guy hiring and everyone else!!

Good luck Evasura! Oh, and a hint, try using different dyspraxc exmples for the resilience thing. ones that are skills not needed at all in the work place! That shouldnt then be able to work against you. buena suerte.

x
"Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..."- Good advice from Dory
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

That's a good idea. I sent you a list there of things that might help. Could you let me know if it works because not sure if I did it right.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

Thanks, guys. well, I'm sending application off tomorrow, after drafting and getting it checked and correct three times. Agsiul, replied to your msg, thanx.fingers crossed
Eva in London
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

We'll all keep the fingers crossed for you.