Shameless self promotion

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Osymandus
Power poster

Shameless self promotion

Post by Osymandus »

Article about ME written by the lovely Maxine Frances Roper (also Dyspraxic )
in last week's Telegraph :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/roa ... sq-content
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Re: Shameless self promotion

Post by Lady Fluff »

Thanks for plugging this - it was an interesting article. Sorry about some of the idiots you had commenting on it - guess you can't win 'em all... Well done for rebuffing them in an intelligent and reasoned manner though!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Lol thanks , it is a hobby of mine , plus they get shown up rather quickly . Im sure many people have come across those who claim our arguments are invalid as we don;t adhere to grammatically correct rules
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I didn't read those messages.....gobshites. Some people have nothing better to do.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I read that this morning and was going to post a link. Didn't realise it was anyone off here. Shame the article doesn't include a link to us.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Opps sorry my fault ;)
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Osymandus wrote:Article about ME written by the lovely Maxine Frances Roper (also Dyspraxic )
in last week's Telegraph :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/roa ... sq-content
Yo know when I read the post first I say ME as in Chronic Fatuige and when I opened the link was confused when i saw tat it wa about driving #-o :lol:
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

I liked the article, thank you. :)
beansontoast
Getting settled in

Post by beansontoast »

Very interesting article - and I'm really glad you had a good instructor that understands different people's needs.

I took a different path - I tried to learn to first ride a motorbike (parents bought me a knackered, but useable bike when I was 17), and found it difficult but possible. Passed my CBT after three tries, and rode for about a year before working out I often didn't feel safe riding as my hazard awareness wasn't good enough to account for other road users' behaviour.

I had driving lessons whilst still riding my bike, and after stopping riding. Whilst I got the hang of the physical aspects of driving, I still couldn't switch attention well enough, and certain things would stop me processing information properly, meaning I wasn't actually perceiving road conditions accurately. I failed my test after about 30 hours of instruction, and decided that carrying on was just wasting money.

A few years after I learned I was Dyspraxic, and the difficulties I'd had made sense. I applied for a Freedom Pass (London's public transport pass) on grounds of disability and was approved. I've not looked back since.

In an ideal setting - clear road, even lighting conditions, no large adverts, flashing signs, I could drive or ride a motorbike with no problems. As soon as I'm having to process rapidly changing conditions, it all goes to pot.