erm... i think i have wrecked my zygomatic arch

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

abby
Getting settled in

erm... i think i have wrecked my zygomatic arch

Post by abby »

i took a golf ball to the side of the face like a week ago (game at cub scouts went wrong), it bruised up a little quite fast. the pain, swelling, and bruising are all getting worse. it really hurts, and i am relying on drugs to get through the day, and more importantly, to sleep at night. this is me, and i walk into things, and i have probably walked into things that has made it worse. it hurts to chew, so i have been mainly eating baby food.
i know i need to ask someone to look at it, but im just too scared. i dont trust people, and it will mean touching me.
anyone got any ideas to help me be less scared, so i can bear to ask someone to help me. please dont just tell me i need help, i know that already.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
agsiul
Power poster

Re: erm... i think i have wrecked my zygomatic arch

Post by agsiul »

Jesus.I'd go to a doctor with that.It sounds like something is broken.it must be killing you.
abby
Getting settled in

Post by abby »

it is killing me. i know i need help. i think i may have a simple fracture to the the zygomatic arch. im just too scared to ask for help.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

abby :ghug:
Okay, first things first. You are brave - you would have to be because you actually live in the world. You are strong. You are stronger than your fear! You can do this! Tell yourself these things over and over. It doesn't matter if you totally don't believe it but I do and so do others on this forum. Do you have anything small that comforts you - like a smooth stone or something else that would fit in your pocket or your hand that will help make you feel safe? Take it with you to the doctor or hospital or whatever.

When you get there remember that they are there to help you - not the other way around. While you're waiting to see someone (the worst time for me) find something to focus on. How many ceiling tiles are there? How many holes are in the tiles. If there are posters or whatever on the walls, read them. What could be wrong with the other people there? What is a good alternative ending to the last book you read or movie you saw - you get the idea.

When you get in to see someone, if things are moving too fast or to many people are crowding you for too long ask for a second to compose/calm yourself or whatever word you are comfortable with (I would ask for a second to breathe). When I am in a medical situation that freaks me out, I breathe. I focus as much as possible on slow inhale, slow exhale. This helps to calm my body and my mind and I feel more in control. After you do all of this, give yourself a reward like a magazine or a milkshake (if you can drink one) or something else smallish that will make you happy.

Okay, now that you've read my post, go find something comforting and start saying positive things to yourself. Then go and get some help. Then come back and tell us how it went.
Grackle
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Make sure that they know that you are stressed out and in pain. I was in hospital with injured wrists for 4 hours in the mdidle of the night because they kept sending out different people to check me out. Thought they'd never let me go home. Clearly I didn't look near stressed enough.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

and they don't need to touch you for an x-ray, do they?
Eva in London
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

abby, what happened? I'd like an update if you're around.