Hey I have a question about spelling

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

agsiul
Power poster

Hey I have a question about spelling

Post by agsiul »

This just hit me. I'd forgotten to ask this before. Does any one else have this problem:
1. Does anyone else have a difficulty with people spelling words to them. People do it regurarly when they are trying to keep something from the kids. It drives me crazy. I always just say back Pqrz. It might as well be in a different language. Unless I can see the letters written down I haven't a hope of figurig out what the words are. They are just a list of letters. If the word is longer than 3 or 4 letters I havent' a hope of figureing out what the word is supposed to be.

2. And the other thing ...which I've forgotten...just now fell out of my brain....oh yeah. Another bug ber of mine. When you ask someone to spell a word and they ask you what you've written down and start spelling in the middle of the word. Just start at the beginning. I've no idea where I'm supposed to start writing unless I can start from scratch.

3. Oh yeah and another one which my sister thinks is hilarious. Say you were doing a crossword but the other person had the cross word. Would you have to spell out the letters on your hand to make sure it is a 5-letter word? I have to tap out the letters on my fingers to see how long the word is. Is that just me or is it something that goes with dyspraxia?
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Re: Hey I have a question about spelling

Post by Lady Fluff »

Hey agsiul - not just you!

1. Not just the way you describe it, but the other way round - whilst I generally am an excellent speller on paper (typing errors don't count - that's my sausage fingers on the keyboard!), I can't spell out loud for the life of me! With young nieces and nephews, this is proving to be a problem, as my sisters in law have taken to spelling things out to disguise what they are from the children, and, in one nephew's case, spelling words out backwards, which leaves me with no hope as to understanding her!

2. Again, I agree, the same with numbers too. Working in Cardiff, our area code is officially just 029, not the standard 01xxx like most of the country. However, to make up for it, ALL local phone numbers then start with 20. Correctly reading a phone number with out the area code would therefore be, for example, 2092 8453 (making this up, don't try and ring me on it you won't find me there!). Yet the number of times people who pre-empt me by starting '02920' and then I struggle to seperate the numbers so I end up repeating the 20 part of the number, and thn they get confused as to what the phone number really is! Oh, and patterns, things have to be read in the right pattern to me or I have no idea what they are. I had my old debit card number memorised, and I knew it in the following rhythm: 123 123 1234 123 12345 (not my card number either!). If anyone ever read it back to me and deviated from that pattern they may as well have told me it in Russian for all the sense it made to me.

3. I always have to check the letters of a word on my fingers! Not sure if it is a dyspraxic thing though, my mum does it too, and she's definitely not got it.
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

:D I know sin't that a killer when people read the stuff back the wrong way. I repeat the numbers back to them again and then they're totally confused! Especially on the phone. In my phone number there are 3 0s some of the time they are zeros and some of them are O. I mean that's just a daftway to learn it but it's what I did. Must be careful the next time whenever I get a new number.
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

I thought that it was normal to have to count out the number of letters on your fingers :S

I have the problem with numbers. I have memorized certain numbers a particular way and I get lost if someone reads it back wrong. Like my social insurance number - they are nine digit numbers so I would memorized it like 123 123 123. If someone reads it back as 12 31 2312 3 - I have no clue about if it is right or not. Plus if something distracts me from a sequence like my phone number, I'm just lost. Like if they ask for the last four digits of my phone number - I can't remember it without the first 3 first.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I don't think it is normal because i get laughted at whenever I do it. I know i hear ye. It's like when someone looks for the last four digits of your credit card or something and you have no idea what it is and have to start at the start again.