employment rate for dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

employment rate for dyspraxia

Post by ALADDIN »

I know the employment rate for asperger syndrome is 15% full time, 6 % part time.

I think the employment rate for dyspraxic people is low.

I get tired easily. I do not like commuting to London from Surrey. I feel that the support for dyspraxia is poor.
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Re: employment rate for dyspraxia

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I'm one of the unemployed people with asperger syndrome, well that as well as dyspraxia, hypermobility syndrome, chronic pain/fatigue issues and various other associated stuff :lol: 8-[ Not sure about the numbers for dyspraxia specifically unfortunately,.
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

ALADDIN wrote:I know the employment rate for asperger syndrome is 15% full time, 6 % part time.

I get tired easily. I do not like commuting to London from Surrey. I feel that the support for dyspraxia is poor.
It would be interesting to know if dyspraxia leads to lower levels of energy or more lethargy than in NT peers, although I don't know if any such studies have been done. Does anyone know if energy is an area that's officially recognised as being related to dyspraxia? If not it would, I imagine, be difficult to raise it with an employer.

I also commute into London and find it hard work; however it's difficult to gauge how much more difficult or tiring I find it compared to others.

Dan
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

both my partner and I are dyspraxic and we're both working full time (at different places!). She's a team leader and I'm an admin girl. I've worked part time since I was 16, and full time since I left full time education at 22 (I'm 28 now). She's only recently gained a full time contract but often did plenty of overtime in her PT job and wasn't full time for lack of trying!!! We both commute for 45+ minutes to work. I get tired but unlike many people I do not drink caffeine (due to anxiety issues) - NT people might be as tired as me without their constant intake of coffee!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

Daniel wrote:
ALADDIN wrote:I know the employment rate for asperger syndrome is 15% full time, 6 % part time.

It would be interesting to know if dyspraxia leads to lower levels of energy or more lethargy than in NT peers, although I don't know if any such studies have been done. Does anyone know if energy is an area that's officially recognised as being related to dyspraxia? If not it would, I imagine, be difficult to raise it with an employer.

I also commute into London and find it hard work; however it's difficult to gauge how much more difficult or tiring I find it compared to others.

Dan
I heard that Dyspraxia, Dyslexia & ADHD are highly correlated on the Autistic spectrum. Certainly for me (and my Old dear), I find 7 hours sleep is the bare minimum I can survive on & my energy levels vary considerably day-to-day.

Then again, I heard it said that Men are more hormonal than Women, so maybe it's a fallacy!
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Bounce
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bounce »

Maybe it depends on what areas of your life dyspraxia affects...

I don't put it on my job applications unless they have two green ticks for the employer (i.e. disability friendly) because people discriminate.

At the moment the employment rate for everyone is low, but in an employer's market then older people with loads of work experiences who do not have challenges like dyspraxia and ADD are more like to get in.

I walk to work, 1.7 miles... I get tired with certain things... Like lots of paperwork... But I have found since I joined a gym and started eating better that I have more energy.

I am concerned because our workload is going through the roof and soon we'll have redundancies.
differentfromtherest
Getting settled in

Post by differentfromtherest »

Found it interesting to read what people have wrote. I am 18 and wish to work or do something but i get panic attacks alot even if im just walking down street sometimes so i dont see how i can . I am starting an open university course in october. yh umm sorry i ramble :blush: .
Living with dcd can makes you feel like a penguin in the middle of the saudi arabian desert, completely out of place
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

I turn 18 soon :grin: and hope to get a job during September, but I find it difficult to follow some of the simplest instructions at times, I never consider dyspraxia as a disability so I never say I have a disability (but to be honest if I did put it down as a disability im afraid I will be discriminated, also hate being treated differently :( )
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

I always consider it an Ability, rather than a Disability & hence I never put it on those medical questionaires.
A hell of a lot of authors were Dyspraxic (e.g. George Orwell & possibly J K Rowling), and my dyspraxic friends all seem to be exceptionally creatively gifted.

It also answers the old interview cliche's of "What is your biggest Weakness & what is your biggest Strength?" as it is both, but can be whichever you choose to make it...
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

(Highlighted writing) Wow so its not just me that feels like this then :) , every time I tell someone I have dyspraxia they instantly say umm what's that, then I have to stand there and explain what it is ](*,) . I feel that this condition isn't very well known unlike dyslexia which everyone seems to know about :S . I find that some dyspraxic people have a hard time coping and we have no one to turn to when we need help with coping with it because a very small amount of people know anything about the disability. Many times in my life i have felt alone because of this :boxedin: .
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
differentfromtherest
Getting settled in

Post by differentfromtherest »

Magic_Lemur wrote:I feel that this condition isn't very well known unlike dyslexia which everyone seems to know about . I find that some dyspraxic people have a hard time coping and we have no one to turn to when we need help with coping with it because a very small amount of people know anything about the disability. Many times in my life i have felt alone because of this
i totaly agree, its very difficult when ur having hard time coping and just wanna talk to someone bout dyspraxia but u cant because they dont understand it. recently on here i made a friend that is dyspraxic also. It helps soo much because they have same problems so its easy to talk to them and relate to them. :)
Living with dcd can makes you feel like a penguin in the middle of the saudi arabian desert, completely out of place
SirDaveofDanger
Getting settled in

Post by SirDaveofDanger »

The trouble I found when I was unemployed was 'Do I class myself as Disabled, under this job description?' and generally I thought it was a no, as Dyspraxia is one of those grey areas. I was so pleased to find that in my first time in full time employment my senior staff member had a Dyspraxic son, so could understand many of the problems I face (especially considering i'd commited to living permanently away from home, even though I had been 8 months away from home as a volunteer at the same place, but I thought I would be going back home after a year)
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

SirDaveofDanger wrote:The trouble I found when I was unemployed was 'Do I class myself as Disabled, under this job description?' and generally I thought it was a no, as Dyspraxia is one of those grey areas. I was so pleased to find that in my first time in full time employment my senior staff member had a Dyspraxic son, so could understand many of the problems I face (especially considering i'd commited to living permanently away from home, even though I had been 8 months away from home as a volunteer at the same place, but I thought I would be going back home after a year)
(Highlighted writing) That is actually a good question, is dyspraxia classed as a disability because im not too sure about that. i am afraid of saying yes to that one anyway because of discrimination, everyone knows that it is far more likely that the employer will want someone who is perfectly capable of the job they are undertaking so the chances are they are going to see the disability and turn you away with out even reading the rest of your CV and application :S
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Yes Dyslexia (and all the other parts of Dys - Clacia , Praxia etc) are disabilities recognised by WHO in 2006 (and under our DDA law's). Reasonable adjustment must be made by an employer when you declare it to them . At and interview you only declare it if 1) you wish too 2) It would be dangerous for you or other employees in your job not to do so ;)
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

i think the employment rate is low for disabilities as it is, but i think many companies would rather take on some with Dyspraxia or Dyslexia than Down's Syndrome as they can make a lot of reasonable adjustments and they don't have to worry about about safety of other employees or the person not fitting in. I worked with a guy who had disabilties and found him intentionally lazy. He had a learning disability and always used to use it as an excuse for not doing any work and i was the one picking up the pieces and getting stressed. But when his "hip problem" got "worse" he was more lazy and rarely turned up for work and then when he would turn up he will be pretending to be in "pain" and the next minute as soon as my manager's back was turned and he was sent home he would be running down the stairs like lightening and playing football with the kids outside. (at 50 yrs old)
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)