Driving Problems

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Emmur
Getting settled in

Post by Emmur »

Thanks for your advice everyone, its good to get that here because all around me are my friends and people I know turning 17 and learning to drive or taking their tests and I seemed to be the only one struggling so much! I do want to learn in an automatic, but my dad would have to pay for it like he was paying for my manual lessons, and first I have to try and talk to him about not being able to drive manual/dyspraxia both of which things he will not accept easily. Other than that, I'd have to wait until I'm out of college and earning enough mone to pay for them myself
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

well if you are sure, good luck getting through to your father! as it is going to be a long time before he accepts the fact.

when the time comes that you do decide to take driving lessons again, I am sure us drivers will give you some useful tips to get you on the road!

like I usually pick landmarks, and if it is that distance away, then I don't go!!

or on round-abouts even with the truck, if the next car is still stopped, and the last car is passing me on the round-about, then I see the gap for the truck, and I slip the truck into that gap, and **** the other driver!!

which is what happened on my last driving test, I seen that the gap between the two cars was wide enough for me to go, the 2nd car was still stationary, so I went with the first car, there again that round-about is always so busy that if you miss one gap, then you are sat there all day.
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

One tip I have is for roundabouts is "give way to people you can see out of your driver's side window", as I could never quite get my head around giving way to the right. It works for me, but maybe not for others.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

One tip I have for roundabouts is look where the hell ur goin cause my fiance almost got killed by someone in an 18 tonner on Monday...the idiot completely cut him up and if it wasn't for my fiances extremelly fast reflexes, he'd have certainly been killed!
OK so that's totally nothing to do with this thread really n my fiance isn't dyspraxic, but I'm still smarting over it and needed to rant, heheh, grrrr :grin:
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

don't worry donna, something worse than that happened to me, my mother and brother, luckily I know a fair bit about driving trucks,

we were actually on the round-about turning right, and seen the artic on the other side of the round-about, and as we got 1/4 of the way around me, and my brother told my mother to stop, as he was still approaching the round-about too fast.

anyway if she hadn't he would have crushed the car like a sardine can, either that or crushed the car against the barrier, as we were both going the same direction.

he had no excuse, as my mother was doing everything right, he could easily see us, as we were the opposite side of the round-about indicating right, and actually on the round-about when he was by the warning signs.

in a 2 miles area, he must have broken about 15 laws, cutting up traffic, going into wrong lanes, not stopping for a red light. and that was without nearly crashing into us.

well we were so hyped up about his driving, that we got the registration number, and the company name, and the e-mail address, and phone number, and then contacted the company.

driving 17 tonne trucks myself, then I know how dangerous the drivers pillar, and wing mirror are, like the one day I lost a 50 foot coach behind them, and if I hadn't seen the coach waiting to use the round-about, then I wouldn't have known he was on the round-about.

which that does make you aware of how much sooner you got to notice traffic, all around. if that was the case in your bf's case, then even though the police will pin it on the truck driver, the insurance might try to go for a 50/50 bump donna.

so just warn him, if he can't see the driver, then to pressume the driver hasn't seen him.

it was scary for me, knowing how much of a blind spot the drivers pillar, and wing mirror hides.

even with my father warning me nearly all the time about it with the car. as if you approach at the wrong angle to a junction then it will wipe any possible view of a small round-about out completely, so you are driving by whatever you seen before you got there.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

No offense Shadwell but however horrible the accident could have been for you and your family, the end result would have been the same in both cases and the thought of that idiot nearly killing my fiance is really, really scary.
My fiance is an excellent driver, and he DID see the driver of the 18 tonner, the driver was goin at 30mph straight over the roundabout and didn't even look before he cut my bloke up....he had no intention of stopping.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D