Going to the gym.

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lithium_joe
Power poster

Going to the gym.

Post by Lithium_joe »

Decided I needed to improve upon perfection so headed to the gym.

Last week, had the odd experience of not being able to get my posture right.

I realised how hard it was for me to sit on one machine simultaneously and concentrate on a) having my legs extended and feet apart b) reach forward and grab the arms but to *at the same time* keep my back straight and shoulders back.

I kept leaning forward (rather than simply reaching whilst maintaining this correct posture)

I kept being stopped to correct my body position, because that wasn't isolating the correct set of muscles (in this case lower back), rather I'd end up pulling with my upper back and shoulders making the task 1) disproportionately easy 2) a complete waste of time for training the lower back.

Several attempts later I finally 'got it' (I think) but my position felt really unnatural and awkward.

The moral of this tale is: it just reminded me what a trial it is trying to program my brain to accept an new motor skill. :-({|=
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Pooky
Administrator

Re: Going to the gym.

Post by Pooky »

Presume you are talking about rowing? Try going slowly to get the right positioning till you get used to it.
caitlina
New member - welcome them!

Post by caitlina »

How long will it take to make a habit of exercising? I plan to exercise 3 days per week and do a more mild exercise the days in between. So that means I will be exercising every day. So how long before this becomes a habit?
GerardSmith

Post by GerardSmith »

It will make you feel better. Honestly, and I am the first to admit this, the gym sucks sometimes. But you have to troop through it and just do it. It will get easier. And eventually it really will make you feel better (or atleast happier).
Daily exercise improves stamina. I exercise twice in a week.
mmayat

Post by mmayat »

i have been going to gym for two years, try breathing in and out to help with form
I have always wanted to go to class(spinning), but scared of embarrassing myself