bullying

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alex
Power poster

bullying

Post by Alex »

I have often been bullied and used to have a short fuse but over time i have learned to control it i used to get bullied a lot at school especally at secendary school for the whole 5 years and felt pushed out i used to not get picked for school teams because of my dyspraxia which really upset me anyone else used to or have this problem?
Remus
Regular Poster

Re: bullying

Post by Remus »

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I used to get bullied real bad in secondary school especially in PE lessons. I remember Year 8 being the worse, I went into a real bad phase with suicidal thoughs and all of that. Anyway, I survive and life is a lot better now thank god!

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Yes I was bullied badly in Secondary school. There are times that I still think about it but I'm trying to put it all behind me and get on with the rest of my life. If I don't then the bullies will have won and I'm not having that! No way!
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

completely aggree with you i still see the people that bullied me and i get called a spastic and i hate that really makes me upset i got beaten up a lot and u mustnt ever let them bullies win i still like you get upset about it but now i just totally ignore everyone that calls me names even though it makes me upset
Sharks758
Getting settled in

Post by Sharks758 »

I seem to get bullied by evry1 especially in PE and Games i get hit a lot and pushed because its,"funny to watch as i stumble + try to balance b4 falling or landing on some1"
Avarice
Regular Poster

Post by Avarice »

You have to remember that,especially where the state secondary sector is concerned, the "people" who behave like that are invariably ignoramous oiks with no real class who have got above themselves and show how shallow their thought processes really are. (Some of the "teachers" can be not much better.)

That people can have issues that DO NOT reflect things like underlying intelligence and can have skills elsewhere is too adult and refined a concept for them.

Their oaffs you wouldn't want to be in a million years who are to be more pittied than disliked.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Me too. I learned to keep my head down by the time I got to secondary school it was mainly people sniggering at me and being ignored. In primary it was horrible but eventually I started to learn how to blend into the background. I've done a damn sight more with my life than most of thoes people but I teach in the same area and am always running into people who were horrible to me in school and every so often I get really upset when I get flashbacks but to be honest what effected me more was that I got very little support from my parents and my mother bullied me too and I think that had a far more damaging affect on me.
Creative wrote:Yes I was bullied badly in Secondary school. There are times that I still think about it but I'm trying to put it all behind me and get on with the rest of my life. If I don't then the bullies will have won and I'm not having that! No way!
I agree. it's tough but the best revenge is getting on with and enjoying our lives.
lulufairy
Getting settled in

Post by lulufairy »

every day in secondary school and primary school couldnt get away from it. But im still here and surviving I truly believe what doesnt kill you makes you stronger
Sharks758
Getting settled in

Post by Sharks758 »

the worst thing is lack of support from family who think its my fault and teachers who r completely blind when im getting pushed around
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

lulufairy wrote:every day in secondary school and primary school couldnt get away from it. But im still here and surviving I truly believe what doesnt kill you makes you stronger
I prefer the line "That which does not kill me... dies horribly "
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

My experience was a bit different I think. I did get bullied but I was kind of often off in my own world so it didn't bother me much. Since my most obvious problems are fine rather than gross motor skills, I didn't have the problems with sports that many of you had. After about 9, physical education was my best and favourite school subject. It takes me longer to learn physical activities but once I 'get it', I do all right. Other little girls didn't really want to hang out with me because I couldn't play some of the games that they liked. They snubbed rather than bullied though.

I had some problems when I was 12-13 and was teased and tormented a bit by other girls but I had enough other bad things happening in my life that they didn't matter as much. I had a lot of trouble with teachers as well but that was partly due to other issues. In high school (14-18) I hung out with the smart kids (even though I was a terrible student) and they didn't much care if you were different or not. In my school it was the boys who were tormented the most for being different. I tended to stand up to bullies for the bullied. We also weren't required to take any physical education classes in high school so sports weren't really an issue. The best part was that I no longer had to take art which made life much better for me.
bettypage123
Getting settled in

Post by bettypage123 »

yes im alway getting picked on even know im in my late 20s.. never got pick for games at school , and people used to se how nurevus and pankay wished it wasnt so cuz i find it really had to make and keep friends, even now only have 1 mate and that my hubby to be , would no what i would do with out him .. shame how ppl can be so nasty to ppl that are a little diffrent .

i was picked on for years at school , once i confrunted my bully but it made it worse , , so i guess that dont help my favor of making friends cuz i get really moody and really bad temperd

wished i could be diffrent but i tryed , every 1 seem to hate me . i can relate to every think you say , im sorry you went tho this , :-k
lulufairy
Getting settled in

Post by lulufairy »

I prefer the line "That which does not kill me... dies horribly "[/quote]
Gonna have to remember that ozymandus
mjt
New member - welcome them!

Post by mjt »

Reading these posts really makes me sick. Virtually everyone I've encountered with dyspraxia was bullied extensively at school. I think the simple reason is that bullies are cowards and people with dyspraxia usually aren't very good in a fight. I could go into the long term effects of bullying, but don't really have time. However what I will say is this: since dyspraxia and bullying are so inextricably linked, why don't schools acknowledge that anyone with dyspraxia is a probable target and do something about it? And why are competitive sports still compulsory in most schools for all people? They say that a little adversity is character building, but surely something that, for some people, would make them targets for harrowing bullying throughout their school career is something they could do without?
Vespero
New member - welcome them!

Post by Vespero »

I was bullied only minorly (mostly thanks to my wonderful school). It wasn't physical, just another boy who thought I was weird and joked with his friends and laugh at me. I tend to be very emotionally detached so I wasn't too bothered.

If relevent, I may mention that one child I sat next to in primary school called me "Bad Hand-Writing Boy" for obvious reasons >___<
Ĝis