Walking to class

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

karatheturtle14
New member - welcome them!

Walking to class

Post by karatheturtle14 »

Hey Everyone,
The university campus that I am on has a bunch of hills and they never seem to get them totally clear or even safe. I've almost fallen several times and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for balancing during these walks.
Thanks,
Kara
Icarus
Getting settled in

Re: Walking to class

Post by Icarus »

I watch my feet constantly when I walk. When I first noticed this I thought it was because I was shy and can't look people in the eye. When I tried to stop doing this I found myself tripping over my own feet (proprioception and whatnot) I then realised that if I didn't look at my feet, I had no way of positioning them with their surroundings. I find running very difficult because I have too look at my feet so I can't see what's coming up until I'm right on it.
''Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King''
-Doctor Who
Shadwell

Re: Walking to class

Post by Shadwell »

I agree with icarus, even though I am not watching my feet quite litterally, I am still only looking one or two steps ahead of my feet. the worst time I find is around pedestrian crossings because of the unbalanced surfaces, for blind people.