'walking straight'

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

JoeR+
Getting settled in

'walking straight'

Post by JoeR+ »

edit
Last edited by JoeR+ on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edit
Liz944
Super poster

Re: 'walking straight'

Post by Liz944 »

Would fail a police test for walking in a staight line even when sober....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Me too! I'm always bumping into people as well and getting in their way when I'm out shopping. I had to appologise to at leat 3 people on Monday!
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I find I have a problem negotiating objects (repeatedly you'll find my complaining about door frames and my colliding with them ](*,) )

I also have a habit of not walking 'properly' almost with a limp - it takes me a few steps to get my stride in place. I also frequently trip up over nothing, or drag one of my feet - usually my right one - as if I've forgotten to pick it up to take a step.

I am told that this is due to poor proprioceptive feedback and under-active vestibular processing. (essentially knowing where you body parts are in three-dimension space without having to look and receiving corrective balance and positioning signals from the inner ear.)
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Jen
Getting settled in

Post by Jen »

Hiya,

Me to can't walk staight at all. Also like Joe seem a bit lop sided, Have a police man's heel on my left foot but not right which the physio says is very odd and probally due to me putting more wait on the left foot than the right.
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

I can never walk in a straight line, I also can't stand still in one spot. after about 8 seconds I begin to lose balance and have to shift. It's subtle, but noticable, if you look out for it.
Back again - going to try and remember to stick around this time!
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I tend to walk in a zig zag direction :lol:
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
littlemadangel
Getting settled in

Post by littlemadangel »

I cant walk straight at all.
My right foot curves inwards when I walk therefore one side of my right shoe always gets worn down very quickly.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

fail a police test all the time with being sober, there again, as alcohol usually mutures if I buy it, then that is about 95% of the time.

I can't wear shoes as I go through a pair of shoes in less than a month, but a pair of boots (Dr. Martins) lasts me about 2 years before there is a definate groove in them from my walking funny.
emma
New member - welcome them!

Post by emma »

Once someone asked me if I was about to dance when I was just walking... it wasnt very amusing...
RobP85

Post by RobP85 »

Liz944 wrote:Would fail a police test for walking in a staight line even when sober....
I did. it took a lot of explaining, a call to my mum and an internet search before the police would let me go on my way.

Was quite funny as I was in no rush and the officers were pretty cool about it, once they were sure I was sober.
lauraevans2020

Post by lauraevans2020 »

Thank god! There are other people out there who walk like they are drunk! My family and my GP look at me as if I am carazy! 8-[ I have to use a walking stick outside to stop me from leaning over too far! People avoid me in the street because they think I am wasted! :S and I can only wear vans shoes outside (which have a flat base) and only bare feet indoors as slippers trip me up.
Hallelujah for you all! :banana:
Cynamon

Post by Cynamon »

My family are constantly complaining at me for not walking in a straight line, I also can't judge how to get around people/objects and I'm constantly walking into things like doorframes.
Calm

Post by Calm »

Same here I can't walk straight not in a straight line anyway. My mother realized when I was 3 I couldn't walk straight and my foot stuck out when I walked. I still have that right foot that sticks out when walking, some people in college made comments on it saying I had a funny walk. I have insoles in my shoes because of having flat feet as well (also common with those who are Dyspraxic apparently) but it doesn't make much of a difference to the way I walk. At least we can walk at all that's the way I see it. :)
majinjoebob

Post by majinjoebob »

I kinda walk, run, and swim(can hardly keep myself from drowning) at a slight diaganal,

I always try to walk behind people as not to bump into them, but then, I just end up stepping on there heels,