one for the ladies: make-up

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

rah
Power poster

one for the ladies: make-up

Post by rah »

of course, if there happen to be any men that are partial to wearing make-up then feel free to join in! ;)

anyway, it dawned on me yesterday when me and my sister were both applying mascara in the mirror that while i always manage to poke myself in the eye and/or get mascara on my face as well as my lashes, my sister doesn't have any of theses issues! at least not on a daily basis.

applying it is always a nightmare for me but i'm also incapable of wearing some types of make-up aswell, namely foundation and lipstick because they make me feel so uncomfortable and almost claustrophobic in my own skin....does anyone else have this problem?

i guess i'm lucky that i have fairly good skin anyway so i'm not that bothered about the foundation, but i do wish that i could apply mascara without poking myself in the eye, it bloody hurts!
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I have the same problems applying mascara but I also find that I am allergic to some brands... which can make life interesting....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Miss Jayney
Getting settled in

Post by Miss Jayney »

Liz944 wrote:I have the same problems applying mascara but I also find that I am allergic to some brands... which can make life interesting....
yeah i've found there's a few thigns that make my poor skin flare up.

I am of the put on and then wipe away mistakes method of make-up - which works ok, or the go into boots/ debenhams and get them to do your make-up for you (which is infinatly better) tbh I tend to not wear too much, the odd bit of foundation / mascara and then more when i'm goign out/ to a photo shoot/ something else.

i have to confess i did/ do get my eyelashes tinted as it's the same cost as a new stick of mascara and saves a lot of time and effort (lasts a few onths) as I only wear mascara to give colour (i have fantasticlly long eyelashes... that are naturally ginger... which is irritating)
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

i had my eyelashes tinted once, my sister did a hair and beauty course at college and i had to be her model a couple of times. i found the tinting really uncomfortable though so i wouldn't have it done again.

i only wear mascara on a daily basis, sometimes with some eyeliner. if i'm going out then i put some eye shadow on as well. i also do the apply and then wipe away mistakes thing...i've found that make-up remover wipes are invaluable!
robyn

Post by robyn »

managing to put on mascara really is a case of getting use to it, if you cant manage it after much practise then go for eye lash tints, much easier option. if you want to persevere with foundation then clinique feel really light on your skin, and are for sensitive skin, and benifit do a great foundation faker that is really just a primer with a bit of colour. there are loads of tinted lip balms that feel like there not there and h&m's do lovely lip glosses that arnt sticky and feel lovely

im such a girly girl, i couldnt do with out make up, and although i had many disastors with the whole process as a teenager im pretty skilled now
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i never ever wear any make-up. Simply because i can never remember what to put where, and would generally end up looking like a clown if i attempted to put any on! :D Lucy
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I tend to avoid make-up now, especially as my charmer boyfriend tells me that im "beautiful enough as you are, you dont need PAINT to look more gorgeous, you'll take your radiance away!" bless him!

But I used to suffer with the issue with mascara all the time, i used to take 2 and a half to 3 hours just to do my make-up each morning!

Kirsty #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Where did I put that?
Getting settled in

Post by Where did I put that? »

I don't usually wear make-up. If I do wear it I usually forget that I've put it on and rub my eyes or something. I'm actually not too bad at putting it on (I do poke myself in the eye with the mascara wand fairly frequently though) I just find it makes me feel aukward and selfconcious. Foundation looks nice but feels wrong!
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream!"
Clouseau
New member - welcome them!

Post by Clouseau »

I gave up on mascara years ago. Never could get the hang of it. I also find that I can't stand foundation or lipstick, mainly because of the way they smell. (I'm very sensitive to smells.)
Wildcat_madness
Getting settled in

Post by Wildcat_madness »

I've given up on make up altogether tbh. I always ended up putting mascara in my eye or painting it everywhere else but my eyes. Also my skin is sensitive to most types of make up so I don't bother with it anymore
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower.
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
An eternity in an hour.

~William Blake
absentnormality
New member - welcome them!

Post by absentnormality »

I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn make-up.

I used to do my house mates make up all the time but could never managed mascara either on her or me.. always had to get someone else to do it.