Dyspraxia and the spiritual world, your views

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Have you had any esoteric experiances or visions?

No, Never
43%
Possibly I am not sure
No votes
one or two
14%
Lots, doesn't everyone?
43%

Total votes: 7

NickC
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia and the spiritual world, your views

Post by NickC »

I have a question or you all, I suffer from dyspraxia and so does my 8 year old son. and he is so like me :) I feel sorry for him already :)

But certain events have made me think about things, when i was young, as a child i used to see visions, see people (I see dead people sort of thing) then as i got older this stopped, but i started to read tarot and got highly involved in all matters esoteric, now my son has told me he is seeing people or spirits if you want to call them that.

And i was wondering if this maybe a side effect of the dyspraxia, i know i used to get bad dreams, night terrors and so does my son, and this is a common theme among dyspraxic people, so was wondering about the visions.

So please tell me if you have had any experiences, I am very interested and promise to take you seriously no matter how weird you experience seems, you can also send me a private message if you want to keep it of the boards and it will be treated in strict confidence. If as I suspect this may be more common than already known I may even do some proper research into it.

I am also interested in know what spiritual beliefs you all have, or don't have if thats your cup of tea :)

Thanks in advance
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I get mine mainly in sort of daydream states, like a sixth sense, if you want to put it like that.

some revolve around people I have never even met, and events that will happen, and most are about driving, when I get the bad driving ones, then I know not to drive that day, as something usually does go wrong. or if it is a good driving one, then I know that it is safe to drive that day.

and it isn't anything to do with my mood, like I can have a bad driving sense, but yet feel like jumping in the car and driving until I run out of fuel!

as for spirits don't get me started!! as there was one in the pub my grandparents used to run in the 80's, and they used to claim it was me doing stuff, like stopping the pendulum on their chiming clock! but yet the catch to open the clock front was too high even with me standing on a chair. well the one day they were watching tv, and the clock opened, and the pendulum stopped while they watched!

it was a friendly spirit, but definately sent shivers up you! the weird thing was I wouldn't go into that pub again for 20 odd years, but it does feel like the spirit has left the pub now, as I used to feel it watching me play pool in the bar when the pub was closed.

there are more things than that, that actually happened, but that will send the shivers up you even more!
NickC
Getting settled in

Post by NickC »

Hi Mike, trust me I have experiances far more disturbing than that, in fact they don't even distub me anymore :) would like to have a chat with yo about it some time if thats ok?
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I'm becoming more and more rationalist / atheist as I get older and anything I believed about ghosts or a supernatural as a child are but distant dreams by now. :-({|=

I don't believe my dyspraxia has had an influence in this process. :-k
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I just don't want to remember the really disturbing times, as it makes the film "Polterguised" look as timid as watching sleeping beauty or something!

and so just try to remember the slightly funny things instead, like 7 balling my brother, yet I was a lot worse than him at playing pool!!

so think I will pass on that, and stick to funny, or interesting things to do with the spirits. or talk about other stuff like music, and day to day living etc.
square peg
Getting settled in

Post by square peg »

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I experience sleep paralysis with hallucinations about once a month. I have wondered to what extent they are 'hallucinations'.
For example, the first times it happened (I was fifteen I think) involved seeing myself levitated over a foot above my bed and even end up just above the floor with an overpowering sense of evil in the room. It reminded me of the film The Exorcist. Then the night after I decided to try to get baptised as an Orthodox Christian (last week actually), it happened while I was facing the side of the room and slightly downwards. I felt and sensed something tall leaning or standing at my feet on my bed. It moved down on me and instead of feeling skin against my face as I was expecting (I often think it's my sister or a hallucination of her for some reason) I felt the being enter my entire body with a tingling sensation and repeat a whispered sentence I couldn't quite make out: "expresses... water", it sounded like. At the time I didn't consider that it was more than a hallucination, as I've learned not to because it just makes me panic, but afterwards I wondered if it were really a coincidence or result of my recent thoughts.

There's a website somewhere with testimonies of people who believe their experiences of sleep paralysis can only be explained as demonic attacks and spiritual experiences. Some stories on random parts of the Internet also make me doubt the entirely biological explanation given by scientists at the moment. Things like other people present experiencing the same thing, the fact that non-cultural stories keep repeating themselves in different people, the effect that prayer has on them, etc.
KxWaal
Getting settled in

Post by KxWaal »

I also have frequent sleep paralysis - in the past year or so, i've had it as frequent as every other week. I've never "left my body" although I want to badly. I have a lot of strange visions, probably connected to hypnogognic imagery - "the shadow people" etc.
At first this terrified me, but lately I have had a fascination with lucid dreaming and have learned that sleep paralysis can be used as an easy stepping stone to 'falling asleep consciously'. Now using this technique, i have frequent lucid dreams - it's really an exhilarating experience. Better than any drug you can take...

I've also had weird dreams that seem to have predicted future events. although i also have many nonsensical dreams that do not. - This, unfortunately makes these 'psychic' dreams rather useless, as I cannot know which are going to turn out to be true or whatever... I do have a generally good sense of intuition though - just that 'heavy gut' feeling - like i used to feel sick to my stomach on the morning of days that girlfriends would break up with me and stuff.
~KxWaal
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I have epilepsy as well so go through some really strange things... :*(
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Vincent
Getting settled in

Post by Vincent »

I answered no.
No ghosts, Gods, goblins or tooth-fairys for me, I'm not superstitious.