Anyone got any tips for flying?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pooky
Administrator

Anyone got any tips for flying?

Post by Pooky »

Got to fly for work on wednesday and not flown before. Just a bit nervous.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Try to enjoy the experience. Flying does involve some different sensations to what you might be used to, but just know that everything is happening for a reason and it's a much safer means of travel than practically anything else.

As far as I know the main bits that people tend not to like are the take-offs and landings. Perhaps take something to read or take your mind off it if you think you'll be nervous. No reason to be though; I always anjoy flying :)

Dan
(online very infrequently for the time being)
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Don't fly with me, every plane I ever got on has had an engine failure - then again everytime all on board escaped uninjured - so I guess even if the plane does go bad then you'll be fine :D

You could always not sleep the night before and sleep through the whole thing. Works for me with long journeys. Except on trains, you can end up some very odd places if you do that on trains.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Its not the flying that bothers me it is the checking in, and the connection flight, what to do with your bag, etc
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

hi pooky,

just seen that message reminds me of the mistletoe over the check in counter joke on chat!! which was to kiss your bag goodbye!! and then hope it arrives the other side the sametime as you!!

hope everything does/did go ok for you, I find travelling fun on public transport, at least you know with a car then your belongings are safe as long as the car isn't stolen, or broken into.

but public transport like trains mean that your suitcase is nearly 3/4's of the train carriage behind you or something!! I might go somewhere in a couple of years by myself, like Spain or something, maybe Aus if the prices come down low enough!!

repay my cousin for keeping us all at the pub until 1:45am last Saturday morning!! as he is over in the UK now, for another 3 weeks.

although my brother said that was extremely mild, like he plays football or rugby in the street, and totally ignores the traffic!
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I hate flying, but when I'm sleep deprived it's a lot less scary, so don't sleep much for a couple of nights before. Last time, I got heatstroke, didnt' sleep for a while, it was fine.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I never tend to sleep that well, for holidays, exams, driving tests, driving lessons, or anything important, I don't know why, think it is the stress of it all.

followed by early morning leaving or waking up, and then dead by lunchtime.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Well I survived.

Plane seats really aren't designed for people who are overweight though.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

or above 4 foot tall! as leg room is never enough, like last plane I went on my father quite litterally had his knees in the back of the seat infront of him, so he was sprawlled out, one leg going one way, and the other going into the aisle!

and still having to get up several times on a 2 hour flight to greece. but there again that was the late 80's - early 90's, on a small plane, (not private, but 1/2 the size of the ones you see in heathrow airport today!), not including the super jumbo! if it is in action yet.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Thanks to my new job I can now satisfy all your private jet needs, although to be fair they do cost a number of multiples more than flying commercially.

I share Shadwell's experiences on aeroplane seat pitch, although I've found some better than others. The worst mode of transport though can be buses where I literally can't fit my legs behind the seat in front.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah buses are definately worse, about the only place I can sit cofortably is the disabled seats, or above the rear wheels, as every other seat is for people 2 feet tall, or 1 6-foot person taking up the aisle, and a double seat!