DLA

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lumic
Power poster

DLA

Post by Lumic »

put my application form in today for DLA got that was hard to fill out..... wonderwat they willsay wonder if ill get it i shallkeep u posted i doubt it will be an easy process thou as my only evidence was a educational phycologist report... fingers crossed
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Definitely keep us posted on that! I'd be very interested to know the outcome....sometimes on a bad day I consider trying to get myself an official diagnosis n then tryin to claim DLA, so I for one would be interested to know what happens in your case :)
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Keljohno, good luck with it, but that is the easy bit done as they say!!

I had to goto Tribuneral to get it myself, hope yours doesn't end up the same way, and that they don't drag their feet with it.

and keep us all posted.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

Shadwell wrote:Hi Keljohno, good luck with it, but that is the easy bit done as they say!!

I had to goto Tribuneral to get it myself, hope yours doesn't end up the same way, and that they don't drag their feet with it.

and keep us all posted.
thanks guys

whats a tribunial?
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

well if they refuse you DLA two or three times, then you go for the final decission for your claim, and I think it is called a tribuneral, which you can attend (more chance of winning if you do attend in person),

if you do decide to attend then they usually send your records to a place in a city near you, like mine was in Swansea, or could have been Cardiff if I wanted.

and when you get there, there are 3 people that actually go through the decissions, and what evidence you provide, and then give you their decission before you leave.

all I know is 1 of the tribuneral board actually works for the DLA department, and the other two are people from outside, so could be like 2 strangers they pick up off the street type of thing!

soz can't tell you that much more about it! as it was 3 and a half years ago since I attended mine.

but it is all straight forward, not like filling out the forms or anything.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I had my medical exam for DLA this morning... not sure how well it went... Only time will tell. If you want more information this site is very good...

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

It has lots of information about how to fill the form in, the medical and appeals process...

Shadwell out of interest what rate of DLA did you get? I hope that is not to much of a personnel thing to ask... Also how long did the process from start to tribunal take?
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

low rate.

from start to finnish I think it headed on for 6-7 months, by the time I got the first payment.

I think it was February - July 20th, then got the first payment about the 15th August.

but that is because of other problems as well, which I have stated, so it isn't just because of being Dyspraxic. as I only had the suspission at the time, but no actual fact written on paper, so I couldn't base it on actual fact, which I did state to them.

it wasn't for a year and a half after that, that I actually found the report in my medical records.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Shadwell,

Thanks for the information.... just trying to realistically guage where I stand... Because I have more than one illness/disability I am trying to work out what the outcome is likely to be... Looking on the net there is not much information on how to fill the forms in with regards to dyspraxia.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

it's ok Liz, if someone that has had training on these forms can't do it without looking at her records, then we got no chance in getting it right!

even then the replied can you tell us in more detail, as we can't understand what you put on the form!!!

most responses are required within 2 weeks of the date they sent the letters as well (not the date you recieve it), so you will find that they will keep you on your toes.

but usually takes them about 6 weeks to get back to you with the first reply.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

The form is one that definately needs shortening and changing to be more user friendly....

I had a slight hic-up to begin with, as they sent letters regarding the application to my old address - they did not read the form... Other than that they seem to be quite quick they have spoken to my GP got the medical organised. Now just playing the waiting game... Finger, toes etc all crossed....
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

good luck with it Liz, and just hope you don't have to take the long road to get it! like I had to.

even though the waiting game is the worst, as it feels like they are sitting down for 6 weeks or whatever twiddling their thumbs, and trying to decide what to have for lunch next week!!
quackstar84
Regular Poster

Post by quackstar84 »

keljohno wrote:
thanks guys

whats a tribunial?
A bastard… I went on one to keep my Incapacity Benefit… seemed lying helped O:) , although when they don’t understand the Depersonalization & Derealization disorder, you need to help them come to term with it *nods*... was a "walk in the park"

Any how; wish you all the best with it.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I wouldn't suggest lying. it is easy to be caught out that way, what they are looking for is you to be truthful about your worst days, yes bend the truth a little, but not to the point that it becomes a total lie.

as say you marked your worst day 2.5 / 10, they will put you down as being like 4 / 10.

and besides which if it does goto Tribuneral then they will be able to catch you out with trick questions about some stuff that you haven't thought about since first filling in the forms.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

good luck with it liz....

oh flipping heck if it takes that long and they ask all sorts of questions am gonna be in the sh*t as my memory is terrible i tend to retain info for about a week then its gone unless am constantly doing it. and as for questions i forget whats been said as i get distracted or dont understandwats been said. then i get all nervous etc and go worse. my edc phy assesment took 5 hrs as i was totally distracted n didnt get any of it. it was only suppose to take 3 hrs haha. well i can defo say now that am not gonna get DLA am gonna muck the medical up ahh well jus see what happens.

do they visit ur house?
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Yes, a doctor visits the house. You can ask for a male or female doctor to visit depending on which you are most comfortable with. They ask a fair few questions mostly about your typical day.... what you do, if you go out, where you shop, if you fall.... I was asked to walk across the room and back. She listened to my chest and did peak flow readings (due to having asthma). I was also asked to read text and undergo a brief eye exam. She also checked how my body functioned by giving me various tests...

Don't worry about your memory being bad and being distracted or not understanding what has been said as this will help your cause. As the doctor is supposed to make observations on your behaviour...