Attention students - updates please!

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Attention students - updates please!

Post by Daniel »

It's been a while since we've had updates from the students who use the forum. Now that the Easter hols are here or nearly here for everyone, perhaps you could let us all know how you've been getting on with your course and with the social side of things too. Also if you've having any difficulties or issues feel free to share them and with luck there'll be some sound advice to follow.

Thanks!

Dan,
Forum Admin.
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

Well, i'm doing Higher englishand maths, intermediate Psychology and history, and ECDL.
in ECDL I've had 3 assessments, did them all in under 12 minutes, and passed with 100%
In english, I passed some but failed others, I failed my prelim based on the fact that my essays are crap, but I did get 70% on my close reading (where you anser questions about a passage)
In History we've had one assessment, which I passed with flying colours.
In Psychology we've had one assessment, which I suspect I failed, however i won't know 'till this afternoon.
in maths I'm failing unconditionally. I got 95% on my standard grade, but in Higher they don't give you formulae on assessments, and so while in standard grade my working was impeccable, now I won't be able to remember the formulae which to work off and thus cannot get started. and thus fail.

I've applied for an HND computing course for next year at the same college. :)

updated!
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

Easter break? What Easter break? No seriously, I don't get one this year because of the requirements for the thesis thats due in next month ¬_¬. I mean I'm all for coming into to university to sit in the library for half the day every sinngle day but I wanna take some time off ;_;. At least I'm getting a weekend free since my e-pal is coming up to meet me for the first time in two weeks time ^_^, but a weekend just isn't enough for my poor, knackered brain.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

My 300 odd page thesis is going in this week.

Lets hope I pass the Viva [-o<
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

300 pages? 0_0, man I've got a limit of 35 not including references and appendices. Good luck though pooky ^_^.
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

I passed Psych - no idea how, but I did!
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

congrats pooky. hope all goes well.

I just became a student again... real stupid hey!? #-o its only a post-grad cert but its sooo much work. Wasn’t expecting this much work. Its mainly web-based – all lectures are streamed online so I rarely have to go in.

I’m also going to college a couple of times a week.

i also have a full time job.

I’m also officially mad (that’s what ppl keep telling me anyway)

I just have to be careful not to over-do things because I’ve been a bit exhausted lately.

actually, I went into uni today to see student services - for once the person was lovely. she told me that my case was very easy (think she was relieved ;)). she is making my exam provisions official so i can get extra time + computer in exams. Only thing is that I have to arrange my exam provisions with my lecturer (intenal exam) this means that my lecturer will kown i have a disability... as a young adult im a bit over all this and would prefer to be totally annon. but hey.... wateva.. .right?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I think telling your lecturer's can be a bit hit and miss... pesonally I have found that because I knew most of my lecturer's it was ok and they were very helpful... I was more concerned telling the ones I did not know as I was not sure how they would react...

I would suggest making sure that you have a comfortable definition of what dyspaxia is and a list of how it affects you academically as not all the lecturers are aware of what it is and need a little bit of education on the issue...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Am currently between universities. ;)

I'll be starting an PGCE at Sheffield Hallam in September though.

I'm currently trying my best to not fail an A-Level in mathematics at college whilst temping in local primary schools for experience.
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

I'm in year 2 of a maths+stats degree. It's going mainly ok. am only doing 3 modules this semester :-

Statistics1 - having already done statistics 2 last emester this is really easy, only difficult thing is the 5 million formulae we need to know but don't.

Financial Maths - i completely lost hat on earth we're even doing ages ago. The word "Black-scholes equation" is menioned lots, but i never understand anything in lectures any mre. This ones really really difficult in class, but the homeworks i've been doing ok on.

Linear Algebra - Hard because of the sheer amount of information tere is to remember. We get through so much matieria each lecture, and he has ridiculously long homeworks most of the time. E.g. last week i handed in 22 sides of matrices, but then this week, it was only 4 sides. So it varies dramatically.

So i struggle with 2, and find 1 mostly easy. But i do still really enjoy uni. I have also started an extra teaching module - SAS its called, which i get a bursary for doing and will involve me doing 3 weeks placement maths teaching in a secondary school. The idea of which is a little scary.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I get on with everyone on my course, they are a really good bunch. I'm working every week until may bar one.
eoakley
Regular Poster

Post by eoakley »

Hi all
been quite busy so much coursework and so little time
I am going to Mallorca on wedensday for 5 days on a geography field trip its also my 21st birthday on wedensday so I am quite excited
I picked up my transcript for last semester today i got a 2.2 for 2 modules and a 3rd for one of them suupperisingly i got the lowest mark for the module i put the most time and effort into. but I am quite pleased
emma
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

In my last college, when I did Drama, I told the learning suport peole I was Dyspraxic, and they told one of my drama lecturers. I didn't get any feedback from her for a month, but she was also deliberately not choosing me to read from the text. Soone day, it came up in conversation about the Dysoraxia, and she said "Well, of course, I haven't been asking you to read becuase of your little problem." I just stopped and was speechless. Later that day I printed off a list of symptoms and gave them o her, with a note saying "I can read FINE". She started blushing everytime I saw her after that.
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

No easter break for me! My Multimedia course is rather intensive, we get one set of holidays in June all other holidays being public holidays only. 5 day weekend at easter, that will be nice.

Is actually quite nice to be out of the 'school' environment. And whats more, everyone on my course seems to be a little "not-right-in-the-head" in their own - often rather obvious - way. Which means, of course, that my oddities don't stand out quite as much. There's rumour going round that you have to be insane to even enroll at the place... I'm willing to believe that one. You have to be nuts to want to sit in front of a PC screen for hours upon hours a day. I have managed to achieve a reputation for walking into things and knocking things over all the time. People even move things away from the edge of the desk when I come to by.... hehehehe. One has just got to laugh really....

Anyway, leaving.

T'Ta

SavV
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Easter break? That sounds like undergraduate talk to me!

The masters is going okay. My first placement managed a low 2:1, which is good for something I figured was a disaster. My stats, poster presentation and mock interview were all passes of various degrees. The interview with flying cover (when the *only* complaint is that I didn't mention the fetish society enough I know I passed :P)

My second project has another 4 weeks to the deadline. I'm confident I can do it, but it's not done yet, so I guess it's an ask me in 4 weeks kind of a job. I've got a lot of analysis to do :S

Generally I think I'm winning though :)