Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lindsay
New member - welcome them!

Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

Post by Lindsay »

Hi,
Im pretty certain I have dyspraxia but as I am 35 and gine this long without support is it worth chasing a diagnosis? What support or help is available once a diagnosis is given? I own a business so self employed and so dont require any accomodations at work, I am studying a degree so perhaps support from my uni with that?
I would have to go through the NHS as cannot afford a private assessment so is it worth it? What will a diagnosis achieve?
Any advice will be appreciated!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and Welcome

Getting a confirmation from a professional van help exorcise any doubts you might have and provide vindication if loves ones shut down/dismiss you self_declaring.

Having a doctor or Educational Psychologist confirm your dyspraxia doesn't seem to open (m)any doors in terms of access to support services.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Lindsay wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:39 pm Hi,
Im pretty certain I have dyspraxia but as I am 35 and gine this long without support is it worth chasing a diagnosis? What support or help is available once a diagnosis is given? I own a business so self employed and so dont require any accomodations at work, I am studying a degree so perhaps support from my uni with that?
I would have to go through the NHS as cannot afford a private assessment so is it worth it? What will a diagnosis achieve?
Any advice will be appreciated!
I eventually got a diagnosis from an NHS Consultant Psychiatrist following a referral from my Essex NHS Family General Practitioner but what was of more help was the 10 years earlier full written assessment from a Chartered Psychologist - which I need to pay for - in your case it might be a business expense and there maybe financial support from an appropriate business supporting organisation.

Once I realised, I have a legally acceptable disability that can get be reasonable adjustments from service providers - I claim that whenever necessary

https://www.bps.org.uk/directory-charte ... chologists

https://www.acas.org.uk/reasonable-adjustments