Any tips for cooking?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Khrishan
New member - welcome them!

Any tips for cooking?

Post by Khrishan »

I have just been diagnosed with Dyspraxia and I have realized that it's a large reason why I'm a terrible cook, I can only really do simple recipes unless I'm with someone who knows what they are doing.

Any tips because I'm the worst cook by far in my shared kitchen at uni and it's starting to get to me.

Thx!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any tips for cooking?

Post by Tom fod »

What do you aspire to be able to cook/prepare?

Some cookbooks are better than others so find some that suit you
Quite a few of my recipe have been clipped from magazines

Getting things ready at the right time e.g. a Roast and accompaniments taxes me
The more you follow a recipe helps
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
sarah-cg

Post by sarah-cg »

I’ve become pretty good at cooking over time and the part I couldn’t learn by practice was multitasking to get every part ready at the same time. Timers and letting myself pre prepare bits to just reheat at the end solves that for me.
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Hello!

Cooking is something I really like doing - or rather, I really like eating.

I couple of things I can definitely recommend:
- if your budget will stretch to them, use cans with a ring pull. It’s a small thing but removing that barrier of having to look for a can opener and then failing at using it really helped me
- frozen vegetables are so helpful, especially prechopped onion. I’ll write a couple of things I make with frozen veg below
- slow cookers are amazing. I put a bunch of stuff in first thing, get distracted, then come back to dinner
- the book ‘cool as you are’ by ruby tandoh has a whole section about cooking less but having good food.
- ‘Black Girl Lost Keys’ is an adhd resource but René has a whole section about cooking that’s totally worth looking at.

Frozen veg recipes:
Bag of Morrisons frozen Mediterranean/roasted veg + can of kidney beans + can of chopped tomatoes + tsp each of cumin, cinnamon, paprika and a little Chili = decent vegan Chili to serve on rice or in wraps
Bag of frozen Mediterranean vegetables, roasted + hummus + wraps + salad = nice lunch
Packet of tortilla chips + Tesco Chili beans can + cheese on top + jalapeños and/or salsa to taste = awesome nachos
Some baking potatoes in the slow cooker all day+ Tesco Chili bean can = instant Chili on baked tatties
Pack of frozen sweet potatoes + can of coconut milk + a cans worth of water +tsp of Thai red curry paste cooked until the veg is tender then blended/mashed = amazing soup

There’s other really low effort stuff I make. If anyone is interested, I can write more?
lauragorf

Post by lauragorf »

With so many cookbooks and recipe websites, you can build your own menu based on your preferences and needs. [Non permitted advertising url removed] an outstanding player in the culinary game with high ranks in search engines. The carefully crafted site features with outstanding recipes containing savory and mouth-watering ingredients.
Last edited by Tom fod on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Joe Suarez

Post by Joe Suarez »

Firstly, it's important to recognize that having dyspraxia can make certain tasks, including cooking, more challenging. However, this doesn't mean that you can't learn to cook or improve your skills with practice and the right strategies.

Here are some tips that may help:
1. As you've mentioned, you feel more comfortable with simple recipes. Stick with these until you feel more confident and then gradually work your way up to more complex dishes.
2. When tackling a new recipe, break it down into small, manageable steps. This can help make the process feel less overwhelming and easier to follow.
3. Dyspraxia can make it difficult to process and remember verbal instructions. Consider using visual aids such as pictures, videos or recipe cards with step-by-step instructions to help you remember the recipe.
4. Some cooking equipment can be complex and difficult to use. Stick with simple equipment that you're comfortable using until you gain more confidence.
5. If you're struggling with a particular step or recipe, don't hesitate to ask for help. Reach out to a friend, family member, or a tutor at the university for guidance. For instance, I had a lot of issues with the cheesy chicken casserole. It was much easier when I asked my father to give me a hand with it.
6. Like any skill, cooking takes practice. The more you cook, the more comfortable you'll become with the process and the easier it will be to tackle more complex recipes.

Remember, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and having dyspraxia doesn't define you as a person or a cook. Be kind to yourself and celebrate the small successes along the way.
Last edited by Joe Suarez on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I love cooking, and I am quite good at it.

My one tip for Cooking with Dyspraxia is;

Do not trust your sense of timing. Keep a timing app, or an analog timer while you work. Use it for your pasta, your roasting, your grilling etc. It'll improve your results and improve your well-being immensely.
Me using a timer for everything I cook now is second nature, and I now have things like difficult Italian pasta dishes, fussy egg dishes, etc., in my repertoire.
KingleyMarve

Post by KingleyMarve »

It's impressive how incorporating a timer can bring precision to various dishes. Speaking of expanding culinary horizons, have you ever delved into the world of crafting your own pico de gallo recipe? It might be a delightful journey to add a fresh, zesty touch to your cooking expertise.
Coffishee

Post by Coffishee »

It's like building a treasure trove of knowledge, a sanctuary for all things useful and enlightening. As someone who believes in the power of knowledge, I think having a dedicated space where we can access resources tailored to our needs is invaluable. Plus, it fosters a sense of community, where we can share our experiences and insights to help each other navigate the challenges we face.