Decisions and routines

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lei10
New member - welcome them!

Decisions and routines

Post by Lei10 »

Hey all,
I'm a newbie here having just discovered that dyspraxia provides all the answers for many of my lifetime difficulties. However, there are two areas which I struggle with that I wonder about.

The first is decision making. This is mostly based around small day to day activities such as choosing what to wear, what activities to do (leisure and chores), what order to do self care activities in etc. It is almost as if my brain can't cope with doing things in the same order each time, even for the most basic tasks. I have developed an OCD counting ritual to counteract this but would love to understand where the inital behaviour come from. This leads onto my issue with routines. I know a good routine would save me so much stress and hassle but I cannot stick to them. It isn't because I don't want to, I literally can't. Does this resonate with anyone hear or do you think this is a separate issue to the dyspraxia. I wondered if it was linked to the ideation and processing/planning elements of dyspraxia? Any help appreciated. Thank you
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Decisions and routines

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

There are definitely crossovers with traits that are more commonly attributed to other ND conditions foe example ADHD. We won't all necessarily meet thresholds to be diagnosed.

The other common crossover is anxiety, problems with short-term memory, executive function, sequencing of tasks and required order of actions can cause us to doubt ourselves and we might try to mitigate with obsessive approaches. Equally being overwhelmed with info and of tasks can mean we jump from one perceived crisis to the next but not complete anything or struggle to see the info necessary for us to make sound decisions amidst all the competing demands.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Cecen
New member - welcome them!

Re: Decisions and routines

Post by Cecen »

Hi there. I’m new to this forum too! I really resonate with your experience as this is something I greatly struggle with also. No matter how many routines I plan or create, I simply cannot stick to it. Or I have maybe a good few days where I’m really on the ball and then I always end up back at square one! There’s an app called ‘Structured’ which I’ve found incredibly helpful. Where you can plan your day by repeating events daily or alter it for that day depending how you feel. It’s also a really good place to brain dump ‘to do’s’ and then you can plan it into your day. It’s the best thing I’ve found so far. I hope this helps but even if it doesn’t, just know that there are others who experience these challenges too! And it’s even harder when it appears to others that you’re just being ‘lazy’!!