I think i might have dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

susanlovely
New member - welcome them!

I think i might have dyspraxia

Post by susanlovely »

I am 34 female. Currently jobhunting. Have worked in a library, worked with children, volunteered in a charity shop, volunteered in an office.
I have an undergraduate degree and a postgraduate degree, but still can't find a job.
Ever since I was an undergraduate student, I had doubts about having dyspraxia. I can cook, but find it extremely difficult and slow to chop vegetables.
I can't fold clothes properly. I fold them in my own way which doesn't look good. So, scared to work in a clothing store.
What do you think? Do I have dyspraxia?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I think i might have dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

susanlovely wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:29 pm I am 34 female. Currently jobhunting. Have worked in a library, worked with children, volunteered in a charity shop, volunteered in an office.
I have an undergraduate degree and a postgraduate degree, but still can't find a job.
Ever since I was an undergraduate student, I had doubts about having dyspraxia. I can cook, but find it extremely difficult and slow to chop vegetables.
I can't fold clothes properly. I fold them in my own way which doesn't look good. So, scared to work in a clothing store.
What do you think? Do I have dyspraxia?
Hi Susan

Welcome to the Forum. While I have limited info from your post I'd say it's a distinct possibility.

Being Dyspraxic often affects our confidence in ourselves and that so often comes through when we're trying to sell ourselves in application forms and interviews.

While dyspraxia doesn't limit our intelligence, we can very much feel our difficulties and processing speed with some tasks will mean certain people will be impatient and not give us the opportunities we need to shine.

Its definitely v important to find a good employer who promotes inclusivity.

The idea of working in either a fashion retail or food service setting scares me intensely but we're all unique and you might find an employer and colleagues are better than you hoped. We so often have bad prior experiences that haunt us so we def need to practice self-care and be kind and patient with ourselves.

Feel free to have a look round the forum at others posts. There is a sort of Directory of Resources Pinned in The Getting Help and Assessment section.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
susanlovely

Post by susanlovely »

Hi Tom. Thank you for replying. I will give you another example - I cannot put back the plate like disc thing back in the microwave once i take it out to clean it.
I find it extremely difficult to use a can opener- I get my dad to open cans for me.😢
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There's no requirement to provide examples to be accepted here.

Think they're called a turntable plate or something like that. Agree they can be a pain to seat properly as you have to line up the lugs in the base of your microwave with those on bottom of turntable. Definitely something to potentially drive a dyspraxic mad.

I have a love/hate relationship with tin openers. Corned beef tins are potentially nasty too.

There are types that are electric or easy grip so worth looking for one that is easier for you. Sometimes it can be the tin that is uncooperative. I have no less than three tin openers and occasionally I find a tin that still resists!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
susanlovely

Post by susanlovely »

Thank you 😊
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Susan, welcome to the forum, I personally done questionaires about the condition after catching the tv segment on dyspraxia awareness, and also speaking to my mother who had also seen the same thing in the early 2000's. then after about a year or so joined this forum. most questionaires I found were aimed towards children, which was alright because I was very much aware of my problems right the way through my school life, as well as before school, just one of the gifts in a way that I got, but not so much in other ways like forgiveness.

then went and found it in my medical records as I knew I was looking for an answer, kind of remember the age I was when the GP turned around and asked if I wanted to know the answer at the time after some tests. to be fair in one way I knew that knowing the answer would have lead to more questions at the age of 10, as no such thing of the internet until I was 17'ish. so wouldn't have any answers at all.

this all happened when I was 30, and looking for answers. shame they didn't have internet sooner, and I didn't have the answer sooner.

but at the end of the day we don't demand people know the answer here, as a welcoming group is what the forum Admin wants and has created here.

welcome aboard.
susanlovely

Post by susanlovely »

Thank you Shadwell. 😊
susanlovely

Post by susanlovely »

Does anyone else struggle with making their bed? I can't make my bed properly no matter how many times I do it or no matter how many times I see other people do it. 😢
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

What aspects do you find most difficult?

I have a fitted sheet on the bottom. A flat sheet I sleep under and my duvet. There is only me in my flat so noone to pass judgement on my skill or lack of.

Changing duvet cover involves me crawling into it with duvet to place corners and becoming phantom of the duvet.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

susanlovely

Post by susanlovely »

I find it difficult to put the flat sheet on. I also find it difficult to put the duvet cover on.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There's supposed to be a way where you roll it up bit I prefer the Phantom way

viewtopic.php?hilit=Duvet&p=34317&sid=6 ... c8187edfe9
Tom
Moderator/Administrator