Dyspraxia and emotions

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Danwatts
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia and emotions

Post by Danwatts »

Hi,

My name is Dan, I know I not posted in here for a while due tho work and life. I been looking into dyspraxia and emotions a lot recently. I suffer from my mental health quite a bit. I been looking into dyspraxia as I’m a suffer as well. It says about we struggle to regulate our emotions and have outburst. All this I can regulate a lot. I’m just wondering if their any strategies or ways you guys do to help with this
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia and emotions

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Dan Welcome Back

I'd say a lot of it comes with experience, knowing when and where we have influence and when to care or not care.

I didn't learn about Dyspraxia till my mid 30s and my strategy was trying to chase perfection and/or at least try to exert some control. That's pretty much impossible/unsustainable but I was wearing myself out trying. Equally the way we feel about things people or their actions is how we feel and our approval or more usually disapproval may not make any difference to them. I can sometimes be a bit reactionary and that doesn't usually go down well.

What do you find works for you?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FilmsAreCool

Post by FilmsAreCool »

Hi,

I've been trying to figure this out for myself as well. I'm a crier, always having outbursts for the smallest things. The way I regulate my emotions is very obviously coming from my Dyspraxia. I found this is something that isn't acknowledged by professionals still and it's always blamed on other mental health issues dismissing the issue or treated as general anxiety. It doesn't help that people blame any of my outbursts because of my gender too 😒.

The best advice I have is first to accept that this is a part of you and trying to control it will cause more fatigue like Tom said. Getting tired and fatigued is a big part of Dyspraxia and if you put too much pressure on it physically or emotionally it will burn you out making it easier for these outbursts. I personally, if I'm in that situation, would let it happen and breathe it out.

Think of it like your mind is a house on fire, and your main priority instinctively is to survive, your brain goes straight to panic/any emotion you tend to outburst with to protect you. What you need to do it direct your thinking to the logic side instead of letting it get to the emotional side so that you can use actions to take yourself from that burning fire instead of reacting. It's not daft but breathing, writing things down or learning to just let it go, step away and allow yourself to move on by letting it go. There are tons of methods that'll suit you. And it might feel irritating that it's those stupid things like going for a walk or box breathing ect. (Depending they do legitimately help) But it is irrelevant on which strategy you use, as long as you are able to let it go, and go from that emotional state to that logical side. Not matter how you get there, this is something you have to come to accept in yourself to be able to move on, plan ahead especially in social/work spaces (if you are prepared you'll know what works well in certain situations, I don't know about you but I get overwhelmed in busier spaces that trigger my emotional outburst and I cave in. So I know if I'm in a busy space, I have someone to call to talk my emotions out, breathe and let myself shed some tears. And it goes in minutes in comparison to complete meltdowns) and remind yourself, have faith in yourself that in the end you are alright. A lot of it is habit and being repetitive, so it will not be something to quick fix it.

A lot of people have told me to simply don't care as if that is something done with a snap. Gradually allow yourself to let go after you've calmed. Get used to the idea and recognise why you had that outburst. The world goes too fast for a lot of us but if you are in a good place, taking your time and letting your pace slow to let yourself think is a very good thing to be able to do.

As a newly dyspraxic adult who was diagnosed since I was 3, I am still learning, my crying still frustrates others and I have lost too many phones from accidentally flinging them when frustrated. I don't have much experience of life but I do understand what you mean and this is my current method.

Wish you the best,

Mel
joeking

Post by joeking »

Dyspraxia, recognized as Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), is a neurological condition impacting motor coordination and planning. Although its primary effects are on physical coordination, the emotional well-being of individuals with dyspraxia can also be influenced. Here are various pathways through which [Dodgy URL Removed by Admin intersects with emotions:

Navigating Frustration and Anxiety:
Managing motor skills challenges can lead to frustration and anxiety, particularly in situations requiring coordination. Everyday tasks like tying shoelaces or using utensils may pose challenges, contributing to emotional stress.

Social Navigation:
Dyspraxia can influence social interactions, causing individuals to grapple with coordinated activities such as sports or group games. These social challenges may result in feelings of isolation or difficulty forming connections.

Academic Hurdles:
In academic settings, tasks involving handwriting, organizing thoughts on paper, or participating in physical education activities may present challenges. Academic struggles have the potential to impact self-esteem and contribute to emotional distress.

Self-Esteem Reflection:
Individuals with dyspraxia may encounter challenges affecting their self-esteem and self-image. Comparisons with peers regarding physical abilities or difficulties in daily tasks can contribute to negative self-perceptions.

Strategic Coping Approaches:
The development of coping strategies is pivotal for emotional well-being. Learning alternative ways to accomplish tasks, seeking support from others, and emphasizing strengths rather than limitations can prove beneficial.

Executive Functioning Puzzles:
Dyspraxia is linked with challenges in executive functions like planning, organization, and time management. These hurdles may lead to stress and frustration, impacting emotional regulation.

Positive Characteristics:
While dyspraxia poses challenges, individuals may cultivate positive traits such as resilience, determination, and creativity as they discover unique approaches to daily tasks and activities.

Emotional Backing and Insight:
Emotional well-being receives positive influences from support provided by family, friends, and educators who comprehend the challenges associated with dyspraxia. Establishing an environment fostering understanding and accommodating individual needs is crucial.

Therapeutic Assistance:
Some individuals with dyspraxia may find benefit in therapeutic support, encompassing services like occupational therapy or counseling, to address emotional challenges and develop effective coping strategies.

Advocacy and Consciousness:
Advocacy for oneself and raising awareness about dyspraxia contribute to a more supportive and understanding community. Enhanced awareness aids in diminishing stigma and promotes inclusivity.

Celebrating Milestones:
Celebrating small achievements and successes, whether in motor skills, academic tasks, or social interactions, can uplift self-esteem and contribute to a positive emotional outlook.

It's crucial to acknowledge the uniqueness of each individual with dyspraxia, recognizing that the impact on emotions can vary. Seeking support, both from professionals and within a supportive social network, plays a pivotal role in managing emotions and fostering positive emotional well-being.
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Caitlinpburrows

Post by Caitlinpburrows »

Hi I recently joined this support page as i have struggled for many years and its now come to a point of its all too much i have quite severe physical dyspraxia my intellectual functions are not affected but i cant use escaltors and like today when faces with steep short footed steps with no handrail i had to go down them on my bottom as i could not go down them with nothing to stablize me it was quite humiliating in front if friends and i feel restricted in my life and it causes alot of stress and worry im just wondering if anyone else experiencees this.
timeless

Post by timeless »

Props to you for diving into dyspraxia and emotions – not an easy combo. I've been down the mental health rabbit hole too, and it's no joke. For me, taking a breather when things get intense has been a game-changer.
DaneTurner

Post by DaneTurner »

As for emotions and reactions, it's definitely a learning curve. I've found that picking my battles and recognizing when my emotions might not sway others' actions has been helpful. It's all about finding that balance between caring deeply and not letting it drain us. On a somewhat related note, I recently stumbled upon some information about antisocial personality disorder in women. It's an interesting read and sheds light on a topic that isn't talked about as much as it should be. If anyone's curious, here's the link: https://www.mentalhealth.com/disorder/antisocial-personality-disorder-aspd/antisocial-personality-disorder-in-women. Learning to accept our limitations and work with them rather than against them is key, though easier said than done sometimes.
Last edited by DaneTurner on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

DaneTurner wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:43 pm As for emotions and reactions, it's definitely a learning curve. I've found that picking my battles and recognizing when my emotions might not sway others' actions has been helpful. It's all about finding that balance between caring deeply and not letting it drain us. On a somewhat related note, I recently stumbled upon some information about antisocial personality disorder in women. It's an interesting read and sheds light on a topic that isn't talked about as much as it should be.
I sometimes feel a bit dubious about correlations made with other mental health conditions. However, I believe the emotional strain many experience can definitely lead to anxiety and/or depression, especially if those around you are dismissive or unsupportive.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)