What jobs to apply for when you have Dyspraxia?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vier
Getting settled in

What jobs to apply for when you have Dyspraxia?

Post by Vier »

I find it difficult in knowing what jobs to apply for because of my Dyspraxia. I find that there isn't really any help or support out there. I'm not very good at multi-tasking and currently have a part time on job working on the bar in a social club, which isn't ideal because I get left alone during the evening to do tasks and then get helped towards the end to clear up. There is added pressure from the customers and they expect you to smile and laugh in the process, which I find hard to do because I'm not relaxed.

I was wondering how do you choose what jobs to apply for?
Do you think about Dyspraxia and how it could affect you at work, whilst seeking jobs?
Loki
Getting settled in

Re: What jobs to apply for when you have Dyspraxia?

Post by Loki »

Don't know why but I get along well in offices.

Everything has a procedure these days and you have to follow the procedure, I also rework all of them and make my own reference sheets for every procedure (oddly that are now being circulated around the office lol!)

If its a big company as well they are really helpful.. I went to my boss the other week... "Hey, turns out I might be dyspraxic, dyslexic and I was to go and get tested for Irlens..." Boss... "That’s fine! We'll give you the time off for the assessment and any reports you have for how we can help you would be brilliant." He then went off and spent an hour looking up any information online whilst I filled out a desk top form to see if there is anyway the company can help me ... (I spent this day in total utter shock as I'd only been here around .... 5 months, haven’t passed probation yet so they could tell me to get on my horse and leave..) Now though I'm in a place were they might even help my along financially with Irlens lenses!! Still stunned

But Offices I think are great, I have my desk, my space with everything organised how I want it... I'm quite confident on my work phone which is weird too... Cause I'm not on other phones, if someone phones my mobile I just stare at it… same as my house phone.
Beware my friends, as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I'm now so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me
/Mary Jane - Megadeth/
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I would agree...the structure makes a big difference and often times you can get on with your own work and are not waiting for stuff from other people. I'm teaching and it is awful hard. I have worked in lots of different jobs and I have to agree that working in an office was one of the more suitalbe ones. Also I ran a hostel...that was good because I could be as odd as I wanted and I could never compare to the owner!
bonzo2
New member - welcome them!

Post by bonzo2 »

Loki, just seen your phone comment and cried! I am exactly the same pathologically cannot answer the phone outside work, love txt or an email, but cannot tackle a call! I am disorganised and chaotic but have managed to carve out a good job but I work twice as hard.
Charlotte
Getting settled in

Post by Charlotte »

I've had similiar worries about applying for jobs, although, as I'm still in full time education all my jobs have been part time. As I'm good with children (I've even taken childcare courses) the majority of my jobs (and my most successful jobs) have involved childcare of some kind; for example, working at a primary school, babysitting my neighbours children after the birth of her second daughter and my current job at the preschool centre at my university. That being said, there are certain aspects of childcare that aren't very dyspraxia-friendly; e.g. spending a long time running after the children and setting up/clearing away play activities for the children so having to be very mobile, having to use fine manipulative skills when preparing snacks, a lot of social interaction with not just the children themselves but their parents, fellow staff and other child care professionals who are at the setting. Still, I've heard working in childcare is a popular choice because many people with dyspraxia are caring and can really emphasise with children having educational difficulties etc. I've also heard it's common for people with dyspraxia to work with people who have special educational needs, work with animals and go into IT careers. Although everyone's different, so I think the best advice is to try and make the most of your strengths when choosing your career (difficult in the recession, I know). My very first job was as a shop assistant and, although I managed to hold onto it for 18 months (before the business itself was actually made reduntant!) and there were elements I enjoyed, I did find it very difficult. Although I have applied for part time waitressing and cleaning jobs before (without actually getting these jobs) I know I'd find them exceptionally difficult as well and, in fact, the rejections were almost a relief.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I think it all depends on what you enjoy, this may sound a little harsh but unfortunately there will be aspects of any job that will be made harder by dyspraxia it just kinda comes with the territory.
Having said that you shouldn't let it stop you from applying for a job if you really like the sound of it and enjoying your job will make the problems easier to cope with.
From personal experience I would agree that working for bigger companies is usually better with regards to help and support they tend to have procedures and polices in place to deal with extra needs.
Whatever you go for unless you are absolutely sure you can do the job I would suggest being honest about your dyspraxia from the start, if people know about your issues I have found they are far more willing to make allowances.
The only job I ever had that I didn't say anything about my problems was the one that is came back and bit me in the backside.
OhJude.
Getting settled in

Post by OhJude. »

My dream job? Researching dyspraxia! Might be able to do it one day. :Eek:
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Firstly I don't think there are any jobs wich are compleaty off limets to dyspraxics - it depends on what you can do yourself in relation to dyspraxica.
For expample:
- I can't and don't want to drive so that takes out jobs which I have to drive.
- I don't like working with children and constently dealing with people etc as this makes me verry anxious.
- I will avoid working in a office at all costs - I just wont be able to cope.

However I can deal with things and practial jobs so thats where I am focusing on when working / finding work.

For other people its diffrent as what affects me dosent affect them and visa versa so its verry much dependent on you issues and how you think you will cope in that job.

I do think that its a verry good idea to say that you have dyspraxia and other issues you may have. If you don't say and they find out later there could be bad counceses as the applaction if sucessfull is a bit like a contract.
The real Mr Potato Head
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I am more of an office person (I do have difficult, mainly because of my speech, the telephone and reception work could be a problem) but usually at home during the day I have to answer the telephone.

I always try to applied for jobs which are big companies (for the reasons said in this thread) in fact I got a job interview at a company this month.

When I was on placement doing my NVQ (the training provider sent me to a company where there were only three other colleagues working, another one worked part time since she managed another branch) it was a funeral directors.

They knew my strenghs and weaknesses (bless them for phoning up the training provider, to asked them to give me more practise at a task in centre) mainly we had to collect evidence of tasks set which needed to show as part of NVQ in IT.

I always try to be honest with my disability and managed to get temporary work via employment agencies (they have always been amazed with my data entry speeds)
Aarav
New member - welcome them!

Post by Aarav »

Finding the correct work is critical for career happiness when you have Dyspraxia, a disorder that affects motor skills and coordination. Concentrate on roles that allow you to use your capabilities, such as creativity, problem-solving, or analytical abilities. Consider occupations requiring fewer fine motor abilities, such as writing, graphic design, programming, or research. Seek out employers who value diversity and inclusion. To secure appropriate accommodations, be transparent about your illness during the interview process. Despite the limitations of Dyspraxia, pursue careers that correspond with your interests and hobbies, as job satisfaction can considerably improve your general well-being.Nrega Job Card List
Last edited by Aarav on Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Aarav wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:56 am Finding the correct work is critical for career happiness when you have Dyspraxia, a disorder that affects motor skills and coordination. Concentrate on roles that allow you to use your capabilities, such as creativity, problem-solving, or analytical abilities. Consider occupations requiring fewer fine motor abilities, such as writing, graphic design, programming, or research. Seek out employers who value diversity and inclusion. To secure appropriate accommodations, be transparent about your illness during the interview process. Despite the limitations of Dyspraxia, pursue careers that correspond with your interests and hobbies, as job satisfaction can considerably improve your general well-being.
Please do not refer to Dyspraxia as an illness
Please also read the rules about not posting links to commercial urls unless pre-agreed by Admin.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)