Work project issues

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MilkyMan7
New member - welcome them!

Work project issues

Post by MilkyMan7 »

Hi there,

I have Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia, and at work I find myself and my time completely occupied with the business as usual tasks of the everyday role, i.e. serving customers and helping to resolve their technical issues, many of which are not simple fixes and take time to troubleshoot and attempt to resolve.

Now my job would be ok if it was just this. But I am also tasked with doing project work and development work to contribute to team objectives. And with my full energy and time on the job itself, I cannot find a way to make time for these tasks. And I know its not an unreasonable request to do project work, my colleagues also have project work, but I'm not capable of nor have the capacity to take on these extra projects/tasks, but I don't see them letting me drop all those, so I'm not sure what to do about the situation. It wouldn't be fair to my colleagues to not do it, but these are complex technical projects with deadlines, and I haven't the skills nor experience to complete these projects either.

There doesn't appear to be a solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time.

Matthew
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Work project issues

Post by Tom fod »

Could you ask to have a day or a morning or afternoon set aside for when you're not required to answer calls/emails from customers so that you can concentrate on your assigned project.

I def find I have some ADHD like traits and can be easily distracted by constant need to deal with 'meet and drink' aspects as longer term strategic tasks don't grab me with the immediate necessity other work does.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MilkyMan7

Post by MilkyMan7 »

Hi Tom fod,

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately not, I have asked about this.

That wouldn't be possible, sometimes we get an hour or two per week, but that hasn't happened for a while.

We're just a bit busy at the moment.

Many thanks,
Matthew
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Are your colleagues also having difficulty finding the time to devote to doing the work necessary to keep their project work up to date?

Are you adequately resourced in terms of number of people in the team?

All too often we worry we may be the 'weakest link' but that might not necessarily be the case.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MilkyMan7

Post by MilkyMan7 »

Hi Tom,

We're just about staffed enough. Maybe 1 or 2 people light, but that is being sorted soon.

My colleagues are not really having any issues doing their project work no.