Hi

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grace88
New member - welcome them!

Hi

Post by Grace88 »

Hi

I'm Grace, I'm 35 yrs old and was diagnosed with dyspraxia in childhood. It was always brushed under the carpet as it wasn't severe, and I was told to crack on as there's no reason I can't do what everyone else can. As it was never discussed, I actually thought I'd imagined the whole thing until I downloaded some medical records fairly recently.

I've struggled mentally for a long time and don't really know much about dyspraxia, obviously I've googled but when it comes to what help is out there I'm stuck. My GP has referred me for an adhd assessment but it looks like some of the symptoms just cross over.

Does anyone know where I can get support for dyspraxia?

Has anyone had experience of adhd assessment and starting medication for it ?

Thanks
Grace x
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi

Post by Tom fod »

Grace88 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:06 pm Hi

I'm Grace, I'm 35 yrs old and was diagnosed with dyspraxia in childhood. It was always brushed under the carpet as it wasn't severe, and I was told to crack on as there's no reason I can't do what everyone else can. As it was never discussed, I actually thought I'd imagined the whole thing until I downloaded some medical records fairly recently.

I've struggled mentally for a long time and don't really know much about dyspraxia, obviously I've googled but when it comes to what help is out there I'm stuck. My GP has referred me for an adhd assessment but it looks like some of the symptoms just cross over.

Does anyone know where I can get support for dyspraxia?

Has anyone had experience of adhd assessment and starting medication for it ?

Thanks
Grace x
Hi Grace and Welcome

I didn't learn about my Dyspraxia until I was mid-thirties and my coping strategies of perfectionism and trying to mask took a toll on my emotional/mental health.

We often have some shared traits with ADHD but won't necessarily meet the threshold for an ADHD diagnosis. Equally medication for ADHD is not right for everyone or is necessarily prescribed for everyone with ADHD.

There's a list of Resources in a post on this forum viewtopic.php?t=7385

One of them How To ADHD is run by an American Lady but I consider it to be equally of interest and use to those with Dyspraxia.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)