Does ADHD make dyspraxia worse?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

AlexMark
New member - welcome them!

Does ADHD make dyspraxia worse?

Post by AlexMark »

Hi all!

I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD to go alongside an autism diagnosis, but I have also struggled greatly with coordination all my life. I've always thought this has been due to dyspraxia, which I'm certain I have, but I'm wondering whether my ADHD has made it look worse than it actually is. For instance, I remember in sports matches at school, I would often ''go missing'', in that I would totally lose concentration on what was going on in the match, meaning I would find it very difficult to participate. Therefore, I would often be taken by surprise when I got passed the ball, which was quite embarrassing! The same goes for handwriting - when I concentrated hard, my handwriting could be quite neat, but I would really have to focus intensely. I have also been trying to learn to drive in an automatic car for several years. It just hasn't seemed to click consistently (even though I could drive quite well when I was having a good day), and I always thought this was due to dyspraxia, but I think it's a concentration, brain fog and alertness issue linked to ADHD.

Has anyone found that ADHD has made their dyspraxia worse, and has this improved on ADHD medication? Thank you!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Does ADHD make dyspraxia worse?

Post by Tom fod »

I think we can say a definite yes

The effects of ADHD affect concentration and exacerbate difficulties with executive function (planning and carrying out tasks /activities). With Dyspraxia and other ND conditions we feel extremely self conscious so there is often a good dollop of anxiety thrown in on top.

I'm dyspraxic but do know I have some ADHD traits though I don't believe I'd meet the diagnostic threshold and I think I'd stress over the medication.

If you're not already aware How To ADHD has some really useful information and content.

I don't drive myself as I'm visually impaired. I do know that finding the right instructor can be key to us feeling at ease and picking up the skill so we can perform sufficiently competently and confidently to get through the test.

Some days I feel really productive others I feel I might as well write the day off. That could be as much to do with things or people not being willing to fall into place in the way I need them to.

Knowing when you have a lost cause is a useful skill as is recognising a different tack is required for some situations or people, nor is it necessarily an us against the world situation.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
AlexMark

Post by AlexMark »

Thanks Tom, I think I'm going to try again with the driving, but on ADHD medication. My concentration just isn't consistent enough unmedicated. It will be interesting to see whether the medication improves my coordination and my ability to get involved with sporting activity. My coordination certainly isn't great but I'm sure it could be worse - I can swim and ride a bike (but not necessarily reliably in either case!).

My executive function is truly awful though and means I have to rely on others for a lot of things.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Alex

You're welcome.

The medication can assist you in focusing which may help your coordination in the sense that you can be more mindful of what you need your hands/fingers and feet to do.

Excercise and practice will help your coordination to a degree but the lesser degree of reward (or disproportionate sense of failure) you feel is regrettably v demotivating.

With driving You're learning to coordinate movements of hands and feet in tune with where your vehicle is and antipating and responding to what other drivers and road users might do as you navigate to where you need to get to

If I could see sufficiently well to be allowed to drive, I know I would have struggled significantly learning and driving day to day parking etc.

Being neurodivergent doesn't impact intelligence. Often we get told or tell ourselves we're lazy and/or stupid. We are not, we pick up things in a less conventional way. Holding ourselves to Neurotypical standards is something we often find ourselves doing but we need to be both kinder to and a lot more patient with ourselves.

Piling undue pressure on ourselves to conform to some notion of normal pretty much always results in us feeling low and not firing on all cylinders. It's not a case of us not trying hard enough it's finding the right approach for us as individuals. It's entirely 'normal' to compare ourselves but we need to be sure we're actually being fair to ourselves in that comparison.

Good luck with your driving lessons.
Is your driving instructor aware of your neurodivergent conditions and can they tailor the way they instruct you to better meet your needs?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
AlexMark

Post by AlexMark »

Thanks Tom. Yes, I always struggled quite a bit at school with my self-esteem as I was quite noticeably the slowest runner and worst at [insert name of sport], which meant I rarely got any dopamine out of playing sport! Though I love watching certain sports.

I don't think neurodivergence affects intelligence (I've got two degrees), but I think it has affected my performance in the workplace at times.

With regards to driving, I think there's only so much the instructor can do. My concentration is terrible, which I'm hoping will improve with medication. I can drive well if I've had a really good night's sleep and I'm fully focused, but those days are few and far between. Though the instructor knows about my neurodivergent conditions, so is very patient, and I'm sure he will be when I start up lessons with him again post-meds.