I tell people I'm dyspraxic everyone asks if it's dyslexia.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Analia08
New member - welcome them!

I tell people I'm dyspraxic everyone asks if it's dyslexia.

Post by Analia08 »

Hi, my name is Analía I'm 31 years old and was diagnosed at 9. No teacher has ever understood me and even myself just understanding what dyspraxia is because there's more information about it.
I'm a student teacher and my tutors keep telling me that I'm in tertiary education and must get over it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I tell people I'm dyspraxic everyone asks if it's dyslexia.

Post by Tom fod »

Analia08 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:24 pm Hi, my name is Analía I'm 31 years old and was diagnosed at 9. No teacher has ever understood me and even myself just understanding what dyspraxia is because there's more information about it.
I'm a student teacher and my tutors keep telling me that I'm in tertiary education and must get over it.
Hi Analia
Welcome to the Forum.

Other peoples' lack of understanding and awareness can all too often be galling. Even in the UK and Ireland where awareness can be seen to be reasonably well advanced, you'll still find people who lack basic understanding and/or too lazy to listen and learn. It can be exhausting trying to get recognition and the support and flexibility we need to thrive.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: I tell people I'm dyspraxic everyone asks if it's dyslexia.

Post by FrankieSoup »

Analia08 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:24 pm I'm a student teacher and my tutors keep telling me that I'm in tertiary education and must get over it.
Urgh - I'm so sorry they're being like this.

As an SpLD, Dyspraxia technically falls under the 'Protected Characteristic' of disability, under the Equality Act.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... tion#types

Being told to just 'get over it' actually falls under 'Failure to Make Reasonable Adjustments' (https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... reasonable) and is discrimination - you can technically take this further if you want.

I'm currently fighting my university to try and get back my lockdown hybrid working model, but it's a slog and I totally sympathise if the fight is just more trouble than it's worth. Definitely here for a sympathetic moan if you want a listening ear. <3