Welcome!

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Welcome!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I've found the best approach is to be kind to and patient with myself. It's not always very easy and I can be a bit too reactionary and impatient for my own good, though I'm less at war with myself nowadays.

Because it presents uniquely and severity often varies from day to day, often dependent on stress levels, it can be hard to explain it in a way that others can readily comprehend.

Sometimes strategies that work well for a while can become redundant overnight due to the imposition of change. Sometimes we try to control things and people around us to try to have some stability/certainty but often that's not realistic or sustainable.

Mine was identified in the latter part of the 80s but I didn't know until my mid 30s. Maybe someone tried to explain it to me back then, but perhaps I wasn't listening and how do you explain it in a readily accessible way? Post 'diagnosis' (hate that word I'm different not broken and needing a cure others perceptions are of course different and equally valid) support is very much here's the confirmation and you're left to work it out for yourself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)