New and seeking advice

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Be12
New member - welcome them!

New and seeking advice

Post by Be12 »

Hi I’m 27 years old and live in Newcastle! I am struggling with the thought of maybe having dspraxia and I think this has Began to affect my mental health. I have contacted the GP in the past and the impression I got is it this has stemmed from childhood there is nothing they can really do. I am not sure to try and save up and get an assessment or just keep living life the way I do. I think my partner is really finding this all hard because he just sees my mistakes or clumsiness as an issue and that I need to sort it out. I’m just wondering if anyone can help or advice!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New and seeking advice

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Sometimes the assessment is essential to enable us to accept ourselves and/or to compel an employer to consider reasonable adjustments.

You often have to be a bit more imaginative to obtain an assessment as an adult. So often NHS Trusts just don't have the provision or pathways for GPs to refer adults (it's not a public healthpriority, though we could make a very convincing arguement in regard the mental health impact).

If you're working and your employer is progressive you can see if Occupational Health will fund an Assessment. You can apply for funding from Access To Work but your employer may have to contribute and need to be on board/cooperative.

Counselling such as CBT can help us challenge the belief that we're useless and/or help us reassess past trauma, though therapist may not be aware of or understand dyspraxia.

Regrettably awareness and acceptance from others can be a challenge as some will dismiss your citing your condition as an excuse. We and they need to see it as an explanation rather than an excuse. Given time space flexibility and encouragement we can find coping strategies and flourish .

Hope this helps.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)