Dyspraxia assessments in the West Midlands

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marie
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia assessments in the West Midlands

Post by Marie »

Hi there,

I'm 47 and currently being assessed for autism through the Adult ADHD and Autism Service. After doing my own research into neurodiveristy, I think it's very likely I have dyspraxia too as this would explain many of the struggles I have faced from an early age.

I contacted my GP who said it was difficult for adults to get a diagnosis, but referred me to our local Occupational Health team at the council. They called me and said they couldn't help as they dealt with home adaptations for people with limited mobility, etc.

I have looked on dyspraxiauk.com and an Adult Dyspraxia assessment cost £865, which I really can't afford.

I'm feeling disheartened as I've struggled all my life, as a dyspraxia diagnosis would allow me to stop comparing myself to other people and help me accept my differences, but it seems so far out of reach :( If anyone has any advice on getting a diagnosis through the NHS in the West Midlands I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,
Marie
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia assessments in the West Midlands

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Marie and welcome.

Sadly too many GPs seem only able to clutch at straws when an adult asks about Dyspraxia assessment. It is worthwhile asking the people/organisation who are/will be conducting your Autism assessment about the possibility of Dyspraxia. They will be more clued up than your GP is.

The term diagnosis when used in conjunction with Dyspraxia is regrettablly not always helpful. While it's important to rule out other causes, assessment for adults is often done by an educational psychologist, rather a 'true medical doctor'.

While it's v important from a self acceptance perspective to have a professional confirm that Dyspraxia is why we have struggled, there is no or very little specific support post discovery/ confirmation, (other than peer support)
Marie

Post by Marie »

Hi Tom,

I hope you’re well, and thanks for the welcome (I realise I’ve posted in the wrong section!). Only yesterday I spoke to someone who said there’s no post-diagnosis support (in the West Midlands) for adult ADHD either. After trialing and deciding against medication, she said the support ended, which is really sad.

I did ask the service dealing with my autism assessment whether they could consider Dyspraxia in my diagnosis but it’s outside their remit and signposted to my GP who referred me to Occupational Health which is where I hit a dead end.

It’s been a real revelation to me, until recently I didn’t know what Dyspraxia was but the more I learn, the more I see myself in the symptoms. I would love a diagnosis so I could say ‘this is me’ but also so I could ask for adjustments at work (i struggle with particular aspects of my job).

I might speak to the disability team at work to see whether there’s any funding through work, but I doubt there is.

Marie
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome.

If your employer is switched on to Neurodiversity and inclusion, their occupational health/welfare inclusion policies may help and while having it on paper helps if you have to compel them to provide reasonable adjustments, some employers are less fixated on the labels and want to help irrespective of formal label

There are myths about Dyspraxia that annoyingly endure and I've heard enough tales of people going to their uninformed GP who'll then say well you can do x, you can't possibly be dyspraxic. It's all very invalidating. Most groups including this one make no distinction between self-discovered/self declaring and those who've managed to access a diagnosis/assessment.

Post now moved into the Getting Help & Assessment section.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Marie

Post by Marie »

On the whole my experiences with my immediate managers have been positive. My colleagues have gotten to know my strengths and the things I struggle with and just naturally support me, often without me needing to ask for help.

The only problems I've had have been when changes have been made higher up in the management team and this is what I'm wary of. It's a large organisation, and this is where I think that formal diagnosis would help. I had one awful experience where I explained three times that I they were asking me to do something I couldn't do, only for them to go ahead anyway, because the changes were being implemented from the top. For weeks my stress levels were through the roof and it took me having a complete melt down and telling them I couldn't work there any longer for them to actually take notice.

Another time I was sent out to draw a map... #-o

I'm definitely going to speak to HR and the disability and inclusion team to get advice. I'll update this thread with any developments.

Thanks for moving this to the correct place and taking the time to respond again.