Nearly 30 and clumsy!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ryanlou
New member - welcome them!

Nearly 30 and clumsy!

Post by Ryanlou »

Hello all!

My name is Ryan, I was diagnosed with dyspraxia at an early age in school. Growing up, my mum never made a big deal about it and I’ve always thought of it as “being a bit clumsy”.

Lately, my clumsiness has been getting worse. I work in the hospitality sector so I’m often carrying trays and walking up and down stairs. Over the last few years, I’ve noticed a decline in my ability to do these things. Often getting others to carry things for me instead. Stairs have become quite a big anxiety for me recently.

I often get very strong episodes of fatigue. Like somebody has turned the tap on and drained every ounce of energy I have and all I want to do is sleep. (I’ve always but this down to my job as I’m usually up at 5am for work)

I struggle with emotions, people often refer to me as cold hearted and lacking of empathy (often calling it fake when I try)

Does dyspraxia get worse with age?
Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this?

I’ve only done a quick research, and I’m just a bit overwhelmed with all the information - I never knew quite how much this explains in my life!

Thanks all!
Ryan.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Nearly 30 and clumsy!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ryan and welcome.

The associated stress and anxiety that tend to go alongside Dyspraxia are often to blame for reducing our confidence in our ability to cope and function. Also we have to concentrate harder so that could account for fatigue. If people are increasingly saying any problems are only down to your own personal failings of character, that again can badly affect and compromise your ability to be your best self.

Basically your dip in performance could be associated with burnout and/or increased anxiety, which will make your normal resilience and ability to cope decrease.

Obviously if there have been physical changes and your hands, are shaking, you can no longer stay awake etc it's not a bad idea to speak to your GP and/or your boss about your concerns and health and safety.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)