Difficulty Driving After 2 Years

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

shaan200
New member - welcome them!

Difficulty Driving After 2 Years

Post by shaan200 »

Hi Everyone,

Before anything else, i want to clarify i am diagnosed with Dyspraxia.

So i passed my test back in 2020, however, my ability with my car is getting worse / stagnating, I have no spacial awareness and I have to put my full focus on the road to prevent me curbing my car, from going into other lanes, and just difficulty in general trying to maintain my focus on the road. Not only this, but there's times where i lose my sense of direction and end up going on the wrong side of the road, thankfully everytime this has happened I've had someone else with me, who's corrected this, however one time there was significant road works, and i go confused with the road marking and nearly ending up going straight into Incoming traffic.

But there's also other worrying things that happen such as me loosing coordinating with the pedals and me pushing the accelerator instead of the break (i drive an automatic). I am loosing any confidence i have in my driving and thinking i am not meant to be driving. Do you guys have any tips?
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: Difficulty Driving After 2 Years

Post by FrankieSoup »

Driving takes a lot of focus and even after getting a license, a lot of practice. My dad - a mechanical engineer and an absolute car nut - always said to me that you learn to drive after passing your test, and that’s definitely been my experience. Driving didn’t feel natural to me until about 6/7 years after I passed, and I commuted daily!

Some things I’ve found helpful over the years :
- I use the sat nav, even if I know where I’m going, so I don’t have to use any bandwidth on direction
- if it’s somewhere new, I “drive” it on Google maps first so I understand the road ahead of time
- I set off super early so if I need it, I can have a rest (I drive long distances for holidays so will stop every hour/2 for a break in focus, or if I’m meeting friends I go early and sit in the car for ten minutes to reset after driving).

I’m sure I compensate in other ways but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Driving is hard - takes a lot of focus. Be kind to yourself and have patience. Xx
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Please note we don't discriminate between those who are self discovered and those who have managed to obtain professional confirmation so no requirement to confirm as diagnosed in any post.

If you're in the UK you're not obliged to declare Dyspraxia to the DVLA. It of course puts people in something of a quandary as on one hand driving gives them freedom and flexibility, while on the other they don't want to cause accidents so there is a responsibility and some choose not to.

I've unfortunately never driven, which caused mesignificant misery in the past though I suspect if I could have I'd very likely be in your shoes thinking should I continue especially the way some other motorists behave on the road.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
shaan200

Post by shaan200 »

FrankieSoup wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:52 am Driving takes a lot of focus and even after getting a license, a lot of practice. My dad - a mechanical engineer and an absolute car nut - always said to me that you learn to drive after passing your test, and that’s definitely been my experience. Driving didn’t feel natural to me until about 6/7 years after I passed, and I commuted daily!

Some things I’ve found helpful over the years :
- I use the sat nav, even if I know where I’m going, so I don’t have to use any bandwidth on direction
- if it’s somewhere new, I “drive” it on Google maps first so I understand the road ahead of time
- I set off super early so if I need it, I can have a rest (I drive long distances for holidays so will stop every hour/2 for a break in focus, or if I’m meeting friends I go early and sit in the car for ten minutes to reset after driving).

I’m sure I compensate in other ways but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Driving is hard - takes a lot of focus. Be kind to yourself and have patience. Xx
I'll try to compensate with this in mind. I might be too hard on myself as well.

Thank you for understanding
shaan200

Post by shaan200 »

Tom fod wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:02 pm I've unfortunately never driven, which caused mesignificant misery in the past though I suspect if I could have I'd very likely be in your shoes thinking should I continue especially the way some other motorists behave on the road.
That hits it on the head, the fact I feel like if I make the wrong move I'll end up causing an accident, plus with other drivers too it doesn't help
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

shaan200 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:51 pm That hits it on the head, the fact I feel like if I make the wrong move I'll end up causing an accident, plus with other drivers too it doesn't help
Definitely watch the being too hard on yourself aspect though!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)