Recommendations on places to get assessed in Melbourne, Australia?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

effffs
New member - welcome them!

Recommendations on places to get assessed in Melbourne, Australia?

Post by effffs »

Hey guys

I have completed many of the self online tests for dyspraxia which all seem to confirm my theory. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD, major depressive disorder and anxiety by a psychiatrist in the past.

Just seeking information for a professional assessment for dyspraxia and/or developmental coordination disorder (DCD) in Melbourne, if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

While I’m here I’ll share my little story
I’ve always felt a little slower at processing information compared to others, am very forgetful or find it hard to concentrate, and definitely lack confidence and assertiveness.

I was often described as an introvert or the quiet weird girl growing up so I continued to keep to myself, finding it hard to explain myself or my thoughts properly to others, along with a little bit of shame for being different.

It has come to my attention very recently as an adult that I do have day to day difficulties, and have always in the past growing up. I learned this on my own, but my current and most supportive boyfriend has gently brought to my attention things that don’t click as well as they should, for example I went to school with him we grew up in the same suburb which I still locally live in and I continue to find it hard to remember how to drive to locations I have lived in all my life (awful at directions and experience brain fog), I find it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time, when he shows me simple tasks/gestures I can’t exactly mimic them, I can’t take in a lot of information at once it just gets scrambled in my brain, and I am very clumsy always bumping into him, walls, objects or standing in his way, my depth perception and coordination is very poor.

I really don’t know how no one had noticed this before (past boyfriends, family or teachers), however now being an adult I notice it quite a lot which can be very frustrating.
Little things in the past make sense too, for example me not being able to learn how to ride a bike, taking a longer time than other children to learn how to tie my shoe laces and reading slowly or out of rhythm.

This is the first time I am admitting and accepting of this so apologies for the paragraph, there is so much more, but I’m sure you all know the feeling! Thank youuuu 8-[
Even finding this forum to have an out let and read similar stories helps so much, I am open to anyone wanting to relate or share their own stories with me in return
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Recommendations on places to get assessed in Melbourne, Australia?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I'm afraid I'm not v well informed on best options in Australia.

If you're content, I could ask for you in one of the Facebook based Dyspraxia groups.

Have you tried Googling Dyspraxia Assessment Melbourne site: .au. ?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
effffs

Post by effffs »

Hi Tom,
Thanks heaps for you reply I greatly appreciate it
I have contacted quite a few places via Google, but I don’t think it has a lot of awareness here

I don’t have Facebook, only fb messenger
So I would love for you to ask for me if that doesn't put you out

Thanks again O:)
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

My assessment was done online because of the pandemic, so it might be worth emailing people slightly further afield?
effffs

Post by effffs »

Hey, this would be so much more efficient actually!
Was it a Telehealth appointment or a website you could share/refer to me?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

effffs wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:20 pm Hi Tom,
Thanks heaps for you reply I greatly appreciate it
I have contacted quite a few places via Google, but I don’t think it has a lot of awareness here

I don’t have Facebook, only fb messenger
So I would love for you to ask for me if that doesn't put you out

Thanks again O:)
I've asked.I will update you when/if I get a response. Have also reached to an Australia-based Dyspraxic friend.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Not Just Clumsy

Post by Not Just Clumsy »

Hello,
I've asked in the DCD Australia Adults FB group and had a member recommend Kathy Clarkson (OT) in Melbourne.

In Australia the process usually involves an assessment by an OTand then a formal diagnosis of DCD signed off by a Psychologist.

Hope this helps!

-Alyshia
effffs

Post by effffs »

Thank you Alyshia very much so! Helps heaps
Did you get the company she works? (or her business number or email) soo can organise a consultation :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Tom
Moderator/Administrator