Feel devestated terrible mistake

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

invisible2012@
Getting settled in

Feel devestated terrible mistake

Post by invisible2012@ »

I've worked at my job for 7 years and for the first time in 7 years I made a horrible mistake and can't stop crying or getting upset .I was helping a really upset child who wanted to go toilet and he was ina nappy as I changed him he went toilet and it went on the changing mat I changed his nappy but stupidly didn't think to check his coat or jumper because he was crying so much and it was home time I rushed it I was devestated when manager told me he went home with his top and coat covered in wee I'm support staff and I feel so stupid and just want to cry and quit
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Feel devestated terrible mistake

Post by Tom fod »

The fact you care makes it hurt all the more. You were under time pressure and It was an oversight that you're a lot less likely to repeat.

It happened and you can only apologise so far so please be kind and forgive yourself so you can put the unfortunate incident behind you and move forwards.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
invisible2012@
Getting settled in

Post by invisible2012@ »

Thank you Tom I'm just devestated and terrified that the parent will have put in official complaint I feel so stupid
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It was an honest mistake in a time of distress, and while they have cause to complain, not everyone is vindictive.
Have your management said anything?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
invisible2012@
Getting settled in

Post by invisible2012@ »

Yes my manager asked me about it and asked what happened
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

These mistakes happen to everyone. If it helps, I’m a parent and experienced a similar instance - details are my kids so not mine to share - but I didn’t think any less of the staff involved. Kids are hard work, even when they’re at home and we’re helping them 1 on 1 - we never get things 100% correct. I’m in awe of childcare workers - you do an incredible, important job.
invisible2012@
Getting settled in

Post by invisible2012@ »

Thank you im feeling so depressed about it still and in a really bad way
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Please forgive yourself. You don't need to punish yourself for this any further.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Can I ask - what would you tell a friend in your position?

I imagine that the answer is something kind and supportive? If so, it might be worth telling yourself that.

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever been given is to be your own best friend - tell yourself what you’d tell someone you love.

Please try and forgive yourself.