Struggling with my work/personal organisation. Any tips/advice?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hedscandi
New member - welcome them!

Struggling with my work/personal organisation. Any tips/advice?

Post by hedscandi »

Hello

Just joined this forum & my first post

I'm 30 & finding that as my professional life gets more serious & more important social commitments are coming, I have found I am really struggling to organise my time & not double book etc.

With my dyspraxia, time management/organisation has always been a particular struggle but I've never had any support for it as I was diagnosed just as I was completing my degree annoyingly

I'm going to try asking my HR if there's anything support related for me at work but I was wondering if anybody else was like me & managed to improve their life using any methods/tips they'd recommend?

In particular, I really need to start using some form of integrated calendar/diary app as having my shift rota in my employer's rota app, my meetings in microsoft outlook & my personal life in google calendar is really not working for me. Is there any easy way to integrate Google/Outlook calendar's in user friendly/accessible format?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Struggling with my work/personal organisation. Any tips/advice?

Post by Tom fod »

hedscandi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:41 pm Hello

I'm 30 & finding that as my professional life gets more serious & more important social commitments are coming, I have found I am really struggling to organise my time & not double book etc.

With my dyspraxia, time management/organisation has always been a particular struggle but I've never had any support for it as I was diagnosed just as I was completing my degree annoyingly

I'm going to try asking my HR if there's anything support related for me at work but I was wondering if anybody else was like me & managed to improve their life using any methods/tips they'd recommend?

In particular, I really need to start using some form of integrated calendar/diary app as having my shift rota in my employer's rota app, my meetings in microsoft outlook & my personal life in google calendar is really not working for me. Is there any easy way to integrate Google/Outlook calendar's in user friendly/accessible format?
Hi and welcome. Glad you've found us.

It is worth talking to HR Occupational Health especially if your employer is forward leaning on being inclusive. You haven't stated how long you've been with your employer or whether you're in the UK or elsewhere? If you are UK the Government's Access to Work Scheme could potentially help meet some of the costs of reasonable adjustments such as coaching.

Is there any way to your import shift rota info from the Rota App into at least your work MS Outlook Calendar. How do your colleagues manage this and has anyone found a easy to do this or could you/colleagues ask for this feature to be available for everyone. can you print week/month ahead and then compare this with your personal home calendar and add necessary appointments/engagements and work out which are optional and which you need to reschedule to fit in?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: Struggling with my work/personal organisation. Any tips/advice?

Post by FrankieSoup »

hedscandi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:41 pm Hello

Hello! :)

I'm not an expert (I only got diagnosed last week at 36!) but something that's really helped me is bullet journaling, in combination with phone alarms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkZEEQG6IVE This is a video about the basics (the whole chanel basically changed my life - all of the ADHD tips for distractibility helped me massively). In addition to setting out the monthly pages at the start of every month, I also set phone reminders. The act of having to transfer information between mediums really helps it to stick. This might be different for people using smartphones (I use a Nokia because I found the iPhone I had briefly way too distracting) but I'm sure a calendar app would do much the same thing.