Recommend Driving School West London?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

hmccormi
New member - welcome them!

Recommend Driving School West London?

Post by hmccormi »

Hello,

I am a 34 year old women with mild dyspraxia. The main thing which is really holding me back is driving. I must have had around 90 hours of lessons over the course of 15 years on and off! I have tried manual and automatic driving and struggled with both, but found automatic marginally easier. I took a test 10 years ago and failed with automatic, then tried manual again (as I was strongly recommended by others to take manual lessons) and struggled to get to pass standard, so I kept quitting.

The more I postponed my lessons, the more it got harder and harder to get the test. My husband and I want to move to a more rural location and I have baby who will need to be driven to places by me eventually, so I really want to learn to drive, but have struggled with driving for years and have major driving anxiety the more I have postponed it. It is becoming a big hold back in my life now.

My husband and friends are not always very understanding as there is limited knowledge about dyspraxia and am tired of explaining why I have struggled with driving for so long. Can anyone recommend a driving instructor or school in West London, who offer automatic lessons and is good with Dyspraxia? Or very good with highly anxious drivers?

Thank you!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Recommend Driving School West London?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi regrettably we've been eclipsed by social media so you may not get the response you need very quickly or at all. I hope I'm proved wrong!

If you wish, I could ask on your behalf in some of the Facebook groups I'm active in

The following articles may also help
http://www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk/ ... dyspraxia/

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/wp-c ... 0Oct16.pdf

https://www.disabilitydrivinginstructor ... fic-needs/
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
hmccormi
New member - welcome them!

Post by hmccormi »

Thanks. It would be good to find out.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated. Will look at the links.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

personally I think less urban might do you better, with less pedestrians, and bikes to watch out for. but will also find the instructor got to be on his game, because less pedestrians, also means the highway code goes out the window straight after learning to drive safely, and passing their driving test.

but as I said many times, in many places, the driving instructor got to be the perfect fit for any learner, and while Tom does say about getting a SEN driving instructor, there are good ones out there, that should be SEN instructors, but just aren't. but are so relaxed, and do everything right, like learn where you struggle most, and adapt their instructions accordingly, so things like giving you instructions earlier, and things so that you can prepare the car, and yourself.

but most of all they put you at ease with jokes, or trying to make you see a fun way of learning, a relaxed pupil will learn a lot faster than someone being taught like they are in the army, and getting shouted at.

so my advice as always is find the right instructor for you, if you want to learn in a manual car, or automatic is totally up to you, but from what I am hearing, electric cars are automatic, and as such having a manual licence after about 2035'ish, because I can't see every parking space in the UK is going to have a charging point by 2030, so it is going to just be something written on your licence, but rarely used.