Link between dyspraxia and addiction

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elliephantus
New member - welcome them!

Link between dyspraxia and addiction

Post by Elliephantus »

Hello, can anyone provide me with any more resources on the link between dyspraxia and addiction? On this link [url][https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dysp ... dults//url] it states in the dyspraxia symptoms Prone to... compulsions and addictive behaviour. However I can not find any other articles anywhere else where this link is discussed?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Link between dyspraxia and addiction

Post by Tom fod »

It's a bullet point rather than a URL link and gives some examples of potential behaviours that some one with Dyspraxia might exhibit.

Such behaviour does not specifically' refer to a higher incidence of substance abuse though I can appreciate that some might choose to 'self-medicate'.

I think that some of us find measure of comfort in routines and/or repetitive activities that might be seen as a little odd to some. Equally there's a higher risk/incidence of mental health difficulties.

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I had a big problem with substance abuse for about 5 years. I feel that was more related to me self medicating my ADD with amphetamines and an inherent interest in learning about pharmacology via experimentation though.
laurameida

Post by laurameida »

Is there such an addiction?
V1nnipoof

Post by V1nnipoof »

It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight.
I've never heard of a link between dyspraxia and addiction, but it's an interesting topic.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I am dyspraxic and an addict and have made quite a study from a personal point of view.

It seems to me that succumbing to any addiction changes how I feel and for a brief time I lose my sense of failure which I am so aware of when I consider how behave with dyspraxia.

I suspect that addiction brings a temporary relief, but a permanent life problem and I think we are disproportionately more likely to be addicts than others.

Now the Dyspraxia Foundation has folded we need each other more than ever to learn and minimise the harms of our conditions.

Please consider also this thread

viewtopic.php?t=9017