people with dyspraxia look young for their age

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

people with dyspraxia look young for their age

Post by ALADDIN »

I have noticed people with dyspraxia and aspergers, especially ADHD tend to look young for their age. The brain develops slowly, maybe they tend to act young.
Last edited by ALADDIN on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: people with dyspraxia look young for their age

Post by Xenavire »

I can tell you right now that this isn't always true. Maybe it was a little when I was a kid, but from my mid-teens people always thought I was much older than I actually was. When hanging out with a friend when I was 16, his mother was buying herself some alcohol and we tagged along because we were bored. Everyone except me was carded, while I was the youngest one there. As a matter of fact, I've never been carded in my life, for anything, even when the guidelines have required it. I legally bought myself some alcohol after work when I was 19, but the law stated that anyone under 25 needed to be carded. I wasn't, meaning I must have looked like I was in my late 20's or early 30's at the time. (This was during a crackdown on checking ID's too, so if I'd told them how old I really was, someone might have gotten fired.)

I'm now 31, and while I don't think I look like I'm in my 40's, I highly doubt anyone would guess that I was younger than 35. I honestly don't think anyone has guessed my age accurately since I hit puberty.

So I think it really can go either way, some of the Dyspraxic traits make us seem younger, while others make us seem older.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

ALADDIN wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:01 am I have noticed people with dyspraxia and aspergers, especially ADHD look young for their age. The brain develops slowly, maybe they tend to act young.
I attribute my youthful good(?) looks to being unmarried and childless.

It is rather a generalisation and (brain) ageing is dependent on myriad factors. What evidential sources can you cite to support your theory?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I updated the post, generally but not always .

I meant to say !
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I would hesitate to suggest it is general.
Dyspraxic folk seem to exist in all areas of society.
Maybe general lack of confidence means folk are assumed to be younger than they actually are.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

Hi Tom,

I think some dyspraxics, look young, some do not look young.

I apologise if I offended people.

I blame it on my ADHD !!!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

ALADDIN wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:30 pm Hi Tom,

I think some dyspraxics, look young, some do not look young.

I apologise if I offended people.

I blame it on my ADHD !!!
Hi Aladdin

My apologies if I gave the impression I was offended. It can be hard to interpret other folks tone especially when your life is difficult and everyone seems to disagree and have wildly differing viewpoints.

Often despite our shared Neuro Divergency we can still sometimes very much seem to be at loggerheads with each other.

http://www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk/ ... landscape/
Interested to know what your perspective is
Tom
Moderator/Administrator