A refreshingly good article about Neurodivesity and Lockdown

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

A refreshingly good article about Neurodivesity and Lockdown

Post by Tom fod »

I found this rather good and very interesting compilation piece posted in a Dyspraxia Group. It is refreshing in that is written by Neurodivergent folk themselves and did not have me howling at my computer and/or at the idiot journalist responsible, as is the case with a lot of articles I read.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/26-04- ... -covid-19/
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Susan69
Getting settled in

Re: A refreshingly good article about Neurodivesity and Lockdown

Post by Susan69 »

Thats really interesting. particuarly where the last person mentioned 'intense exhaustion from social contact' It takes me about a day to recover from having visitors for a couple of hours or me going out to visit family for a couple of hours.

i assumed it was from physical effort of speaking for several hours as I usually live alone and don't usually have long ongoing conversations with the dog for hours! ..but it's interesting that other autistic people even without speech difficulties get the same intense exhaustion just from social contact.

I think if this (lockdown) had happened when I was much younger and still worked or was at uni It would have triggered a full on panic. But as I'm much older and spend most of my time housebound for years anyway and only interested in meeting the dogs needs (usually all I have energy for most days anyway) I've actually enjoyed the complete break from the expectation to go out socially or have visitors. Unlike most Neurotypicals I haven't felt the need to be on video chats daily either (I hate video chat due to my speech problems) as used to being left alone for months while others are out living their lives!

Some of my neuro symptoms have improved after being so relaxed for months with no pressure or anxiety levels over appointments or social obligations.
calisto
Getting settled in

Post by calisto »

That's a great article, thanks for the link
(and the giggle - howling at computers!
I also read the "dyspraxics going to the dentist" guidelines - definitely felt the patronising tone in that one.)

It's always far more interesting to hear about the everyday aspects than some homogenised, sum-up. Much more useful for identifying our own daily experiences.
My big takeaway from this article has been - - - so, seriously, not everyone hears electricity??
This is how important things like this being written is.
We are young and everything is new to us. Then we get older, and who we are becomes familiar and unremarkable to us. You forget things like demanding all electrical things being taken out of your room so you can sleep when you were younger, because you could always hear them, even just when they're plugged in, and you can hear the quiet when they are unplugged. And your family get used to it, because that's what you're like.
This human capacity to get used to stuff has a lot to answer for.
](*,)
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

Calisto, you just reminded me that I can hear them, and now I can't ignore them (anymore) - if I can't sleep tonight, I'm blaming you :lol:

I actually remember several occasions as a kid where I asked for things with lights to be unplugged (VCR'/DVD players, TV's and PC monitors, even alarm clocks would keep me awake.) I remember people being less than accommodating, sadly. For better or worse, my girlfriend has the same problem (even more extreme, I'd say, she wears an eye mask at night and still is bothered by the lights), so on the plus side, I don't have to sound like I'm raving mad when I want to unplug the TV at night.
calisto
Getting settled in

Post by calisto »

Hahaha, I'm up still compiling a list of wta* is up with me til past midnight -
wonder which of us will be up later :-#
calisto
Getting settled in

Post by calisto »

Actually, Xenavire, all late night joking aside - that's really interesting, because - I really never have known anyone go, "oh yeah, I do that". So, THANK YOU! It really makes a big difference.
Also, I know I've gotten over it a lot as I've got older - so it's also very relatable to see you go "don't remind me, now I can't not hear it!"
So it is a thing, and you can forget about it, and also still be aware of it?? Anything else I should be aware of? haha.
Any idea what spectrum it falls on? I read about it under autism...
I always use battery alarm clocks, the kind with the silent tick - that's um, like that too huh?
(I came here to learn to help my boyfriend who has the more obvious dyspraxia, coordination, speech, all sorts - and I've been having a bit of an aha moment myself instead :lol: )
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

It's definitely a thing, it's a bit like with a fan or engine. You can learn to tune out the sound, but you always notice when the sound is suddenly gone. I find it's the same with electric hums. There are some extremely obvious ones that everyone can hear (certain kinds of lightbulbs are notorious), but there are plenty of other, more subtle sources. I suppose I got used to it over the years, and if I don't think about it, I rarely notice it anymore. But once I notice it, it's hard to ignore.

I couldn't tell you if it has or even can be categorised. I only have my own experiences to go off of. But I think our sensitivity in each of our senses is to blame. Smells can overwhelm me, textures and minute crumbs can keep me from sleep, light can feel blinding, tastes can leave me feeling ill very easily... And of course, sounds. Because of Dyspraxia I always feel like I'm half deaf. I have to ask people to repeat things if there is too much background noise (and it doesn't take much to be too much), and I'll miss audio cues when things are too hectic. Yet when things are calm I can hear things no-one else seems to. Like those anti-pest sound repellents, that are supposedly inaudible to adults and barely so to children, absolutely drive me batty. I don't just hear it, it's like hearing a non-stop car alarm, so I naturally have to avoid any house using them or earn a splitting headache.

So, while I can't provide any reading material or confirm any theories, I can say you definitely are not alone. You aren't crazy (I know I considered the possibility myself a few times), just especially sensitive.
calisto
Getting settled in

Post by calisto »

Sounds similiar to the same person having moments of hyper-empathy and also sometimes missing common social cues/expectations in other moments, there are both extremes depending on the situation... hmmmm
food for thought.
thanks for sharing and the personal perspective!
Actually thinking about it - I always thought it was the brightness of fluorescent lights that gives me terrible headaches, but it could also be the sound of them, I wonder. That runs in my family, makes "shop to you drop" a much quicker affair than for most ladies - takes between 30-60 mins #-o

Also a sensitivity and hereditary in our family - very sensitive to changes in air pressure - any takers? Headaches and fatigue on changeable days ....
Human barometers for hire - if I have a headache and want to lay down - you'll know exactly what you'd know if you looked out a window - that it's Blighty and it's thinking of raining, hahaha! If it was predictive and ahead of time it would be even slightly less useless :grin: but its not.
Lucky it's not every time it rains really, just the wants-to-rain-not-raining-yet high pressure sort of weather.