What is empathy ?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

What is empathy ?

Post by ALADDIN »

The term, empathy means sharing and experiencing the emotion.

I have borderline asperger syndrome.

I came across the term, when attending social skills, for people who suffer from asperger syndrome.

The people say you have asperger syndrome, when the reality is that I have aspergers traits/borderine syndrome, which can interact with dyspraxia and ADHD.

The support is tailored towards people who suffer from asperger syndrome and only have asperger syndrome.

I learned 2 things from aspergers social skills, one thing is empathy. I learned the technical term compassionate empathy, eg, when you show condolonces when a friend / relative.

People would say "Congratulations" when people achieve success.

People can show empathy using facial expressions.

The last form of empathy is cognitive empathy, is anticipating the feeling, emotion and reaction, it generally requires a strong mind, especially when you are not face to face the person.

The reason, why I am asking is that I learned to have a strong mind, for making decisions, a focused mind with empathy is a different experience.

When a person, writes something, people need to understand the anticipated, feeling, emotion, reaction.

Psychiatrists say I have ADHD. I am going to get a diagnosis of ADHD.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What is empathy ?

Post by Tom fod »

It is said that people with AS and other Autistic Spectrum conditions lack empathy. As with Dyspraxia we're all different and rarely tick all the boxes as per the textbook.We rarely fit neatly into boxes or categories.

I'm mot sure about an empathetic facial instruction, (I could be wrong). I feel empathy would be demonstrated more by that a person might say.

In the field of decision making, an empathetic person should think about the potential impact of their decisions on others and look to warn those people and/or mitigate if possible. Decision making is based on the information we have so their may be unforeseen consequences of a decision both for us and others.

That's my 2Ps worth

Good luck in your pursuit of answers re ADHD.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: What is empathy ?

Post by Xenavire »

As a kid, empathy seemed to totally escape me. It took years before it started to click, I must have been in my late teens before it actually sank in. Essentially, empathy is about recognising when an experience causes a particularly strong emotion (for example, if a pet died, or you finally succeeded at something difficult), and understanding that other people will almost always have a similar experience with the same emotions.

It sounds simple, and for so many people it's second nature, but it can take a while for people like us to truly understand. What I can say is that the more frequently you feel particularly good or bad, that faster you recognise those emotions in others.

Anticipation is simply an extension of the basic empathy. Instead of apologising for eating the last slice of cake, you consider who might like cake and offer it to them instead - you anticipate that eating the last slice might upset someone and you can proactively work at making them happy instead. If no-one wants it, you still get cake, or you can suggest sharing the slice as a compromise.

Of course, this is all stuff I learned through my own experiences, I can't promise anything I've said here will work for anyone. But I wouldn't have gotten this far without "putting myself in other peoples shoes", as the saying goes.