Any teachers / PGCEs out there?

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HannahSarah
New member - welcome them!

Any teachers / PGCEs out there?

Post by HannahSarah »

Hello,

I have just been diagnosed with Dyspraxia while studying for a PGCE Secondary as a mature student. I worked in FE for a number of years.

A lot of things now make sense now, my paperwork particularly, as my style is chaotic to say the least, and colleagues/managers have remarked on it previously. Basically I start off with what I think is a system, but things rapidly turn in to a disordered mess which I eventually spend hours trying to put in order again. The irony is I have had some really responsible jobs but have had to work so hard trying to keep things in order.

I would really appreciate any advice about how to be more organised.

Thank you
Hannah
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any teachers / PGCEs out there?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Hannah and welcome. Happy New Year too.

Don't think there is ever an easy 'one fits all' answer to this. I find I'm not always good at sticking to my systems and/or I'm just too good at finding/attracting situations that run contrary to the schemes I put in place. I see myself as a big picture thinker but find I can easily be drawn off on tangents and down rabbit holes. I'd say look for schemes that personally work for you that are both flexibility but also have sufficient structure to keep you focused.

Some people like to use calendars and block out time for specific tasks. I find I'm just too ill disciplined or I'll get interrupted. I'm not in teaching myself but work in admin + running my own (disorderly) house/flat for 20+ yrs.

Worth also having a look at the Diverse Learners site http://www.diverse-learners.co.uk.
I saw a presentation from them at the Dyspraxia Foundations Conference back in October last year.

We do seem to have /get a fair few Teachers, though people can be busy/overly reticent sometimes so aren't always quick to respond.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)