Wrapping Presents

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grackle
Regular Poster

Wrapping Presents

Post by Grackle »

Every Christmas I delay wrapping presents until the last minute. I have this picture in my head of how they should look (picture any Christmas movie with the beautiful presents under the tree). They don't quite turn out that way. Now picture the presents wrapped by small children on tv. A mess of tape and holes in the paper and no particular shape arrrrg! ](*,) Anyone else?
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Wrapping Presents

Post by agsiul »

I've given up. I got tins of sweets for the neighbours....round tins. I ask ye...what was I thinking. I just get the bags now. they are the best invention ever. Unless the thing is a cuboid or a cube or soft I haven't a hope in hell of wrapping it. My aunt keeps talking about a parcel I sent her that was wrapped so tightly and covered in sellotape so tight that she could hardly open it.....she is being complementary about it but I grind my teeth every time she brings it up!
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

Omg! I am SO awful at wrapping presents. I get so embarrassed. :( I try my hardest and they never come out right.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I do the bags too. They're ace. And boxes for CDs, DVDs and Wii games. The rest, a bit of a mess and when I wrap stuff, I have to hold the paper with my feet, I don't seem to have enough hands for hte paper, the cellotape, the present itself to stop from moving. seriously.
Eva in London
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Honest to God I think we should combine our stories and write some kind of animation or soemthing because I'd say we'd make a fortune. I have to say. I generally take the easy way out. I hate making a fool of myself.
Dannymp93
New member - welcome them!

Post by Dannymp93 »

My sister wraps all my presents up for me now i jut cant do it, i know how they should look but actualy doing it is a frustrating task for me
narwal
New member - welcome them!

Post by narwal »

Dyspraxia: or The Subtle Art of Making Gift Wrapped Presents Look Like a Bomb
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Ask Mr Hook Hand Abu Hamster!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Luckily for me, my fiancée is nuts about wrapping so I basically let her do it all... which is bad for everyone else as she has a habbit of making it nigh on impossible to unwrap :D

I don’t mind wrapping.. I start out neat enough but get sloppier with each gift.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Whilst I've had my years of presents-looking-like-bombs (such a snort came out when I read that subtle art comment) I now make lots of time on a flat space and use Kraft paper to make life easier. It folds and holds way better than standard giftwrap, you only need 1 big roll, and then you can just stick on bows or shiny bits with spraxy abandon.
It's the one time of year I take time and drink wine and listen to Christmas's music (even if it's midnight on Xmas eve yes haha) and make myself be proud of making something look neat.
Whilst I REALLY AND TRULY empathise with the organisational battle required to get to that point, having a place where you can precut a shitload of tape, having a shitload of tape, and using thicker paper allows me to enjoy a process that used to embitter me like scrooge's puckered sphincter.
Hope next Christmas some of you can take some relief or pride in a dreaded chore.
(note... Put your glass of wine in a box so if you knock it over with your elbow the presents aren't all wine spattered..... Learned that the hard way! ](*,))
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry