Opening up about Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

thedyspraxiadaddy
New member - welcome them!

Opening up about Dyspraxia

Post by thedyspraxiadaddy »

Hi all,

Taken me ages to become active on this forum although I've been reading for a while.

I have been writing about my experiences of Dyspraxia (amongst other things) for a little while now and I'm so grateful to know that there are so many other people out there with similar traits and experiences. I've always hidden behind Dyspraxia and felt embarrassed and ashamed by it but this is slowly being overtaken by a certain sense of confidence in opening up about it.

I try to write every few days about Dyspraxia and link to my Twitter account (some of you may already follow me on there for all I know!) and that platform is full of amazing people from engineers, construction workers and students to sports men and women who take Dyspraxia on in their stride.

If you get a second (and would like to) please take a look at my latest post!

https://thedyspraxiadaddy.wordpress.com ... dyspraxia/

Thank you :D
Dyspraxia Daddy - seeing things a little differently.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Opening up about Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome. Thanks so much for posting a link to your blog and thanks also for the link to this forum therein.

I think awareness is getting better but there's in many ways a taboo about talking about ones feelings, Some are not big fans, but I feel messages like It's OK to not be OK and the increased awareness of mental health are helping. Dyspraxia is by it's v nature a difficult condition to try to explain and neither are we necessarily defined by the label. Some are lucky in that they have found the confidence to be able to push the boundaries, where as some are still trapped, but all too often by fear of the attitudes held by some

Guess you could have gone with X = eXciting times. There is growing interest and acceptance and the DF and initiatives like www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk gaining traction.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Url correction
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Opening up about Dyspraxia

Post by allesandro »

Thanks for posting that--very liberating and refreshing point of view.