Our view of the world

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Our view of the world

Post by Daniel »

I've been getting the strong impression that dyspraxics have a unique view of the world which often appreciates the small details that are overlooked by the population at large. Better still, the sort of things we notice seem to vary from person to person. Here are some of the things that I like that others seem to ignore:

How on the District line tube trains you can see all the screws and rivets and see how everything has been put together.

How no-one writes the letter 'a' how it appears in printed form, yet we use it and associate it with that letter anyway.

Old signs that are still visible even when they're not relevant anymore

If you cross your eyes on a repeating pattern so that pattern meets up, you get an odd 3D effect.

How you can tell the likelihood of rain by the types of clouds in the sky.

What sort of things do you notice or enjoy that are overlooked by others?
monkey
Getting settled in

Post by monkey »

i like train wheels. i like the way that they move. and there are differnt types of wheels for differnt things. tain wheels have changed over the years and there interesting.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I struggle with technology and having to concentrate on many things at the same time.
In regards to knowing your left from right, a huge tip and you will never get it wrong. spread your hands out on the table and look at each hand. if you look at the index finger and the thumb they make an L shape the right hand doesn't do that.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

The beauty in a healthy leaf moves me, sometimes it can take mu breath away.

I see shapes in the clouds and I can smell snow coming

I like to look at the outside of the upstairs of shops and figure out when they were built. Especially when town is busy and ir's freaking me out abit. I have pointed mt favourites out to friend and they have never noticed them before.
Rosel
Getting settled in

The Joy of Small Things

Post by Rosel »

I like clothes that are simply but well cut
I like seeing plants on buildings in teh city, like the snap dragons that grow on the roof of the plastic bag factory.
I like the spot where i can stand under the tramway and above the canal and see buses, cars, aeroplanes and hear the trains.
i like looking over the bridge on campus and seeing the fish in the river.
I like the colour black because it looks so warm and deep.
trivium12
New member - welcome them!

Post by trivium12 »

I don't have dyspraxia but I often find that I concentrate and think about things other people wouldn't notice or give a second thought to. For example, bus stops. I'm waiting a for a bus so I'll often think about the bus shelter I'm standing in. I'll admire its contruction, wonder who built it, when it was built and where. Same goes for cars and some buildings.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I really like to sniff out the beginning of spring- especially those first days when I can feel the sun's warmth.

I count the number of trailors on a goods train, I always do that.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I like to work out the origins of buildings and objects too, Trivium, although I prefer something with a touch more history than bus stops myself. I had a walk up the valley with my father a year or two back, so a viaduct that used to take the railway, and you could see of the stonemasons' marks on the lower stones. It was quite amazing to see these personalised signatures of sorts, dating back to the 1850s more than likely. (http://danielatkinson.photoblog.co.uk/p4474569.html)

Louise, I know what you mean about counting train carriages. I still do that when I'm at a station, even if I know perfectly well how many carriages a train has. It's something to do I suppose, but it's more interesting I imagine on a long freight train. I like to see what sort of things are being carried, and try to work out where it might be going to and from.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

Sometimes trains go so slowly through the station, that I wonder if anyone has ever jumped onto one of the goods carriages!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Yeah! The great freight-riding hobo image, immortalised by various films out of Hollywood. Not sure if that image translates so well to the UK, but it's nevertheless a nice thought.
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

I like looking at license plate numbers and memorising them for some reason. Also talking about view of the world I just watched a documentry film called: What the bleep do we know!? Has anyone else seen it?
Blazinwolf
New member - welcome them!

Post by Blazinwolf »

oo oo, i like to memorize number plates, but i always forget them usually
but i still try X3

I know my neighbours one by heart though... but i don't know my own number plate XD
Never follow the white rabbit, it always leads to madness.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I'm rubbish at remembering numbers and letters, so I wouldn't be good at memorising numberplates, although when in the car with my parents we try to form words using the letters of the numberplates of cars in front. Sort of a 'travel countdown' if you will, lol.

I like airline spotting, that is if you see a plane flying over trying to work out the airline it is and which possibly exotic destination it might be flying to and from. (This is not to be confused with plane spotting which is taking down the registrations of planes which definitely isn't up my street, lol)

Rosel - there's a place near where my parents live where the canal, train line and motorway all run parallel to each others. It's nice as it's sort of seeing 3 generations of transport side-by-side.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

Haven't seen what the bleep do we know, what was it about?

I like licence plates that spell somthing. I saw one that said V### GER yesterday( no idea what the numbers were). Star trek reference made me smile. I do actually try to memories the numbers because if an accident happens the police ask what was the licence plate number! I've never yet managed it!

I was at Kew Gardens yesterday and could spend hours just looking at the shapes the bare tree branches make against the sky. The buds beginning to swell are really exciting too. There is a crocus carpet which is breath taking too. lovely place almost makes me wish I lived in london.
quackstar84
Regular Poster

Post by quackstar84 »

My view of the world = I feel drunk all the time, Which can be nice but no one wants to be drunk all the time unless they want totall lack of self control.