ASD and dyspraxia- how much are they related?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

ASD and dyspraxia- how much are they related?

Post by firemonkey »

This is a question I posed on Quora to see what responses there were.

https://www.quora.com/Can-dyspraxia-mak ... r-thoughts

To quote the second person that replied :
No. There’s been a lot of BS floating around the Internet to the effect that dyspraxia is a learning disorder or a symptom of autism. Like I said, BS.
Whilst I agree it's not a symptom of autism reading between the lines I sense he's dismissing any connection at all.
But dyspraxia is a speech disorder. It is not a language or cognitive disorder.
He seems to think that dyspraxia is just a speech disorder, and has no cognitive effect, which contradicts the literature I've read.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: ASD and dyspraxia- how much are they related?

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Dyspraxia/DCD is far more than a speech disability.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I'm inclined to agree with him on first point, (lot of ill informed BS online **** Information or Shinfo) He probably could made his point better or differently.

He demonstrates limited knowledge of others' experience with Dyspraxia and the tone of his post could be construed as non-accepting of dissenting viewpoints. I think we can all be a bit like that, read something, perhaps not fully understanding all points to which we need to respond, and React!
I'm prone to this!

Because Dyspraxia is complex and not fully defined (even some experts can't agree) with shared traits and/or occurs alongside other conditions we naturally struggle to understand ourselves and will want to question any label that is or might be applicable.

It's an emotive topic and people will of course have varying viewpoints dependent on their own perspectives, experiences and knowledge.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

There’s definitely a lot BS about anything online.

But he’s also shut down that question and actually missed the point somewhat.

He’s managed to narrow down his definition of dyspraxia down to speech. Which is incredibly short sighted for if you remove the word ‘verbal’ then dyspraxia opens up to cover a lot more than just speech.

Whilst he may be a long standing professional and/or academic a little humility would not go a miss for on this topic he’s not quite a correct as he seems to think he is.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Agreed but I am not sure who "he" is, but I did not get beyond the headline as it was nonsense.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

He's a speech pathologist not an expert on dyspraxia , and therefore maybe less qualified to talk about the subject than any of us who experience this.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

V much so. There was someone on a closexd FB Group bemoaning something stupid/dismissive uttered by a speech therapist in relation to her son's Dyspraxic. A little knowledge can be dangerous!

This voice stinks and has clearly died. I need the coroner and the speech pathologist!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I agree with him completely
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

firemonkey wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 am This is a question I posed on Quora to see what responses there were.

https://www.quora.com/Can-dyspraxia-mak ... r-thoughts

To quote the second person that replied :
No. There’s been a lot of BS floating around the Internet to the effect that dyspraxia is a learning disorder or a symptom of autism. Like I said, BS.
Whilst I agree it's not a symptom of autism reading between the lines I sense he's dismissing any connection at all.
But dyspraxia is a speech disorder. It is not a language or cognitive disorder.
He seems to think that dyspraxia is just a speech disorder, and has no cognitive effect, which contradicts the literature I've read.
While,the gentlemen is right, that there is a lot of BS online, it is ironic that he then goes on to spout a whole load of tripe about dyspraxia being a speech disorder. He quite frankly comes across as a bit of a tool, who is pontificating about matters well beyond his pay grade.

I thought it was well-established theory (though by no means proven) that dysparxia might be part of the Autistis Spectrum (along with Dyslexia, Tourettes and of course Asperger's).

Anyway, at least your question did get a couple of excellent responses from other contributors on Quora.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You forgot ADHD/ADD. I believe Tourettes is a neurological condition that is outside the Autistic Spectrum, as do Dyslexia and Dyspraxia, That said there are crossovers in traits and in many cases people have Dyspraxia and other co-occurring conditions and it is a complex web.

I think the notion of Dyspraxia being an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), like Aspergers, somewhat polarises opinion. Some who are dual diagnosed/have strong traits are not so bothered, whilst others are much less content to be lumped into a specific group if they have 'accepted' Dyspraxia as 'their label'. It is certainly emotive and seems to cause a lot of heated discussion, whichever side of the fence you're on.

Whatever label we have/take ownership of, we're all individuals and we are often sensitive to (upset or annoyed) by the notion that we are defined by a label and are less than keen when other people start making judgements and/or trying to pigeon hole us based on the traits we might display.

Not sure there's any advantage to or more useful help available to people if they have an ASD diagnosis.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator