DRIVING INSTRUCTOR REQUIRES ADVICE

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

nomad
New member - welcome them!

DRIVING INSTRUCTOR REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by nomad »

hello there. I am a driving instructor living in Barnsley. Firstly a bad confession. I have been doing this job for 6 years.Secondly another bad confession. Over the last 3 or 4 months I have started to take an interest in "hidden difficulties" (sorry if that offends anyone but i was advised to use this terminology). I am requiring anyone who is learning to drive to pass onto me what they find helpful when on lessons ie: I have put L and R stickers on my doors to help with directions, I have put a bright sticker on the rear back window for reverse manoeuvres, I say "my side" and "your side" when giving out directions. I would also like to know what gets on "your nerves" when driving. It could be things like the instructor being late, changing the days and time of your lessons. I am due to attend a Dyspraxia meeting on Wednesday 20th July in Sheffield. I hope the majority of people reading this will now probably be aware that because of the 2 confessions I made at the start of this thread, I have been quite oblivious to these difficulties. I can honestly tell you all that that will be in the past. I would welcome direct e-mails to xaviwray@tiscali.co.uk so I can read them whilst out working ( not on a lesson ) or via this forum. Thankyou for reading this message.
Andy
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: DRIVING INSTRUCTOR REQUIRES ADVICE

Post by Catwoman42 »

Patience! I learned to drive before I was diagnosed. My instructor used to get very angry that I could do something one week and have forgotten it by the next. Driving demands a lot from dyspraxics; your feet, hands and head are all doing different things. Everyone kept telling me that it would become second nature, but it never did. The co ordination involved in driving is huge. Hope this helps.
lindseyb85

Post by lindseyb85 »

i attempted to learn to drive when i was 18 (hadnt been diagnosed) but was awful my instrictor got so fed up of me he was always busy when i tried to book lessons lol :lol: my last lesson i mistook my left and right and crashed quite fast up a curb into a bush :Eek: i think what id like as i want to try again is a instructor with patients and understanding doesnt look at u like "are u stupid or sumin" whaen u stare at ur hands for ages trying to work out what was is lft and right lol
Waheed123

Post by Waheed123 »

I am a driving instructor living in Barnsley.
Lv
Libbystretton

Post by Libbystretton »

I am learning at the moment. My instructor lets me dictate the speed we do things so won't move on until I'm ready, I also get hand signals with every direction, as well as a visual representation of everything that is often given as a handout so I can think about it after. Another thing I get is when learning something new I get given the instructions s a handout. Which I read, do it and then re write the sheet how I understand it with my instructor so it makes sense to me! Hope this helps :)
jennie54

Post by jennie54 »

nomad wrote:hello there. I am a driving instructor living in Barnsley. Firstly a bad confession. I have been doing this job for 6 years.Secondly another bad confession. Over the last 3 or 4 months I have started to take an interest in "hidden difficulties" (sorry if that offends anyone but i was advised to use this terminology). I am requiring anyone who is learning to drive to pass onto me what they find helpful when on lessons ie: I have put L and R stickers on my doors to help with directions, I have put a bright sticker on the rear back window for reverse manoeuvres, I say "my side" and "your side" when giving out directions. I would also like to know what gets on "your nerves" when driving. It could be things like the [url removed] being late, changing the days and time of your lessons. I am due to attend a Dyspraxia meeting on Wednesday 20th July in Sheffield. I hope the majority of people reading this will now probably be aware that because of the 2 confessions I made at the start of this thread, I have been quite oblivious to these difficulties. I can honestly tell you all that that will be in the past. I would welcome direct e-mails to xaviwray@tiscali.co.uk so I can read them whilst out working ( not on a lesson ) or via this forum. Thankyou for reading this message.
Andy
Hello nomad,
I figured out how to drive before I was analyzed. My teacher used to get extremely irate that I could accomplish something one week and have overlooked it by the following. Driving requests a great deal from dyspraxics; your feet, hands and head are all doing distinctive things. Everybody continued revealing to me that it would turn out to be second nature, yet it never did. The co appointment required in driving is immense. Trust this makes a difference.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sneaky attempt at advertising by hiding link in quoted section foiled
CeceB

Post by CeceB »

I took drivers Ed a few years ago for the first time. My instructor assumed my problems were all anxiety based and suggested I try medication.

What helped a lot for me, especially with the left /right thing was to have a ring I'd wear on my left thumb. It was something visual that I could spot with a quick glance down. I'd also look over my notes before going for a drive, to help remind me which pedal was for gas vs the break.

I still don't drive well enough but I at least feel confident in case of an emergency, I could.
lewis77

Post by lewis77 »

Hello,

Thanks for the advice but can you tell me what is important for a beginner driver in driving? because I am looking for driving instructor If you got this message then give me your office information.

Driving Instructors Lichfield
Last edited by lewis77 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

In my experience - I have been driving mostly manual gear change vehicles since 1965 and realised I have DCD/Dyspraxia in 1999 - is that what was most important to me in learning - anything - is lots of practice in safe circumstances - - I know a dyspraxic person that began lessons with off road driving - I think one firm at least in my area offers that.

MrLiquorish
Getting settled in

Post by MrLiquorish »

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to learn. That's good of you!

A few things:

- Giving clear instructions in plenty of time.
- On roundabouts, although I know they won't do this on test, a point in the direction of the exit I will be taking (before entering the roundabout) would be appreciated as well as the verbal 'take the 5th exit' - so I know exactly where I'm going.
- Roundabouts I found particularly difficult. An idea might be to discuss any large roundabouts whilst the car is stopped somewhere safe before attempting these. Talk about the process for entering and exiting, and the lanes. An aerial image might be good to use as a prop.
- I really appreciated my instructor's 'method' for maneuvers such as reverse parallel park (reverse back until in line with X, then turn wheel X amount, then move back until in line with Y, and so forth...)

If I think of any others, I'll add them on!
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I still find roundabouts difficult, for several reasons.

Getting in the correct lane at the right time.

Finding the exit I need when there is no destination signaled at the exits, even on roundabouts I have used for decades.

Judging when a driver approaching from the right, but not at or on the roundabout yet, is going to assume they have the "right of way" and drive immediately in front of me, sometimes even when I am already on a small "mini roundabouts"