Has anyone with dyspraxia passed first aid?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

invisible2014
Regular Poster

Has anyone with dyspraxia passed first aid?

Post by invisible2014 »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone with dyspraxia has passed first aid as I really feel it is not possible for me to pass as much as I would love to?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Has anyone with dyspraxia passed first aid?

Post by Tom fod »

I achieved Public First Aid in c1992
You can do it too 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
hoogie
New member - welcome them!

Post by hoogie »

Yup I've passed my first aid what parts are you struggling on?
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

I have done so with my youth club in 2012, I can’t say I’ve had to use this as of yet.
I think the only thing that let me down was when they were talking about wounds.
northolt999

Post by northolt999 »

I have trained and volunteer as an Advanced First Aider what is a lot higher as First Aid at Work. Know doing my Nurse Training.
It took me a bit longer to train and work out especially as at the time I had no diagnosis. Perservance is key.
kombatwombat

Post by kombatwombat »

Not long after I left school I did a first aid cert as part of an electrical pre-trade cert I enrolled in. Anyway, before we got into course the instructors informed us that in 3 years of coaching students through the course, they had never failed anybody. You can imagine how stink I felt when I heard back that I had failed the course and had to have a re-sit.

I managed to pass no problem the second time, but it was one of a long line of incidents which have deeply damaged my self-esteem. I was confident and not expecting the possibility of failing when I sat it, but us dyspraxics often seem to find ourselves in these horrible situations. However, I would say to you that you should not attempt anything whereby you have serious doubts about succeeding.

I am guessing you would not ask this question if you knew an experienced first aider who could help prepare you. However, you could prepare yourself. I am sure there will be numerous detailed first aide guides online. Coaching yourself before sitting the course will always greatly increase your chance of success. However, do not sit it until you are feeling confident and even then, be prepared for potential failure.
Last edited by kombatwombat on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I was a Senior Scout First Aider in the 1960s and in the 1970s when I obtained an Amateur Swimming Associaition basic teaching certificate, that involved a bit of life saving and first aid, I have subsequently done other things through work, but am long retired and forget the details.
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

An excellent question. I've done (and passed) more First Aid courses than I can recall, but have never had to give major First Aid in a real situation and always feel very uncertain that I would cope with the processing required to deal, say, with a multi-casualty incident. Has anyone here done so, and if so how did you get on?
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
cilla

Post by cilla »

i trained as a community first responder with the west midlands ambulance service, I am dispraxic and dislexic.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

otis_b_flywheel wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm An excellent question. I've done (and passed) more First Aid courses than I can recall, but have never had to give major First Aid in a real situation and always feel very uncertain that I would cope with the processing required to deal, say, with a multi-casualty incident. Has anyone here done so, and if so how did you get on?
I'm not diagnosed, but I have a lot of dyspraxic traits (in my opinion). As an ambulance emergency responder (actual job title Emergency Ambulance Crew), I have to deal with all sorts of emergencies and RTCs are my least favourite because there's so much to take in and make sense of. Somehow, I manage it though! I think I just sort of get on with it because I have no choice, but I do find it stressful.
invisible2012@
Getting settled in

Post by invisible2012@ »

Thank you everyone for replying I seem to struggle with cpr
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Did Public First Aid in 1992 somehow I passed
Believe ratio of compressions to breaths varies depending on if you are alone or working with second person.
Thinking will likely have changed since I did it but not easy to remember.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

invisible2012@ wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm Thank you everyone for replying I seem to struggle with cpr
Everyone struggles with CPR.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Bay

Post by Bay »

In the last course I followed, the instructor was great with different approaches to each subject. He made us reanimate while singing the chorus of the "staying alive" song (yeh, the one by the Bee Gees). I know it sounds silly, but it works for getting the right rythm. Then he made us do it with one of those beepers and with a reanimation guide on a smartphone (all on a dummy with sensors of course). Don't be afraid to tell yourself out loud what to do if that helps you. And as the teacher told me; you're going to break the victim's ribs etc. but in the end doing nothing is much worse, so don't be afraid to act; you're their only chance for survival and you don't stop 'till either a doctor drags you from the victim's body or the victim has (literally) lost their head.
So even if you don't get certified, you will have learned a few things that may save someone's life someday.

Ironicly when it comes to real life emergencies I've noticed my lack of gestures and my freezing up in panic is perceived as outward calm by others, so they come ask me for help and they stop panicking (while I'm dying with nerves on the inside). That and the fact I already tripped over every stone, ran into every tree, ripped my clothes on every sharp obstacle and got tangled in every power cable helps me keep people composed and guide them away from danger. I luckily never had to do real reanimation or treat serious injuries so far, and I hope I'll never have to.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome

So are they calling resuscitation, reanimation now? I've always thought reanimation was for corpses?

Of course the idea is to hopefully prevent loss of life.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator