Employee of the Month.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Employee of the Month.

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I got employee of the month for July, but only because I was rushing around, doing two jobs at once, giving a handful of work to do while my job list gets bigger and bigger. It's a very unorganised company. Lack of communication. Lack of staff. Work overload, small building. The company hasn't got the space to expand, but are signing more contracts.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Employee of the Month.

Post by Tom fod »

Congratulations on at least getting recognition of your contribution.
Is anyone else concerned about the additional work being committed to and how the company will manage to fulfill the requirements to the required standards?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

The company doesn't care. Just today, we've had one person pass out due to the heat, one person nearly passing out. There's no health and safety, well done correctly, the glass line exploded, and one person was cut. Half of the people in the work are lazy and get paid more than me. The company is so unorganised, something goes wrong every day. They just add the workload on top another workload. Signing contracts when they know they haven't got the space or the staff. It's already changed companies name in the space of a couple of years.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Sounds dodgy it would drive me mad. I can expect myself to be a bit disorganised as is everyone but if it affects people’s safety comfort and convenience my tolerance can really run out
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

The roof collapsed at work. They've changed my job title, I'm now down as a factory cleaner, and not as an industrial cleaner. I have to do my work and the other cleaner's, because she's useless, doesn't turn in, always goes home while claiming to be "sick" I get paid less than others, who stand around doing nothing, I do more work than people on the production lines, and get paid less. They want me to now clean the smoking shelter, but I don't even smoke.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Would imagine there are a lot of people who would object to cleaning a smoking area but under the terms of your contract can you refuse?

Is there an opportunity to get a standing about job and can I get one? Actually I find I need to be doing something all the time at work so it would drive me to distraction. When it comes to keeping my flat clean/tidy that seems to be a whole other kettle of fish.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

They changed my job role. I am supposed to clean up the smoking shelter, and now they're expecting me to clean people's uniforms, if the other cleaner hasn't got the time.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

There are too many backstabbers in this place. I hate every moment that I'm in there. I'm getting blamed for things that aren't even my fault.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Have you looked for other opportunities /jobs
When you find a new job and resign you can tender a deeply satisfying esignation letter politely informing them of why.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Most of it is agency work, and I really haven't got the energy to job search or have interviews. The other cleaner is constantly off, meaning that I have to do her job as well mine. I never went to the company to clean toilets out, I think it's degrading. I have to clean the smoking shelter out, don't smoke, clean the bike shed out, don't use a bike. Constant backstabbing.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's totally wrong but too many people undervalue and in too many cases look down on cleaners despite the essential role they perform. People will always nit-pick and notice things that aren't right rather than what is. Until there's a 'problem' they don't notice so it will al too often feel like a thankless task.

Could you ask that they get you a new colleague to share the work given your other colleague's 'difficulties'? As a cleaner I imagine you can't really avoid the vile jobs like cleaning the toilets, smoking shelter etc as it's very much deemed your responsibility. Can't say I'd relish or put up with such a role as not something I'd like or be good at personally as it's a job that is unending and I would probably feel equally trapped.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I was supposed to be an industrial cleaner, not a toilet cleaner. They never said that I would have clean the toilets or smoking shelter. The bike shed only got added a few weeks ago.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

It is grim BUT if it pays a wage it is better than not working. I was fortunate that I was never required to clean toilets as part of a job, but rather than be unemployed I certainly would have done.

Coping with unreasonable bosses and colleagues that don't understand DCD/dyspraxia are added stresses.

It was unreasonable bosses that caused me to give up jobs on two occasions, but each time I was confident I could get work before I had completed the notice period, although I was mistaken once about going straight from one job to another, but that time , my work record and references at least enabled me to get a temporary job until I found permanent work.

I wish you well SwervingCentaur in sticking with it until you find something better.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

And, I probably won't find anything else, so I'll be stuck in this job. I'm actually past caring now. It's low pay. I've downgraded a wage, where I'm earning two pound a hour a less.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hold on isn't that less than national minimum wage and therefore also modern slavery?

Call ACAS and or speak to someone at jobcentre/HMRC
Tom
Moderator/Administrator