Hello!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucy
Getting settled in

Hello!

Post by Lucy »

Hi all!

I have just recently been diagnosed through my university but been looking into dyspraxia for a while and, let me just say, it is a bit eerie finding there is a word out there that sums up all the odd quirks and things I've spent my life trying to hide or minimise and feeling quietly ashamed of! And to know that it is not just me imagining that other people find these things easier than me.

I thought getting a diagnosis would help me feel more comfortable 'claiming' the label of dyspraxia, which it definitely has done. I didn't think it would do much else, so I've been surprised to find that actually it's brought up lots of other things and emotions. It's going to be more of a process than I thought it would be!

So I'm learning. Mostly I'm becoming more aware of all the coping strategies I've been using for so long I had forgotten they were developed to cover weaknesses! It will be a process.

From the posts I've read here and from YouTube videos, it has been such a relief to know there are people out there who 'get it' - as I said to a friend, learning more about dyspraxia and finding people sharing their experiences was really like finding my people. So I thought that I should say hi :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lucy and welcome.

I hope you find site useful. When I finally learned it was very a much the What now? question for me.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

Thanks Tom. There is definitely some of that! And a lot of trying to figure out how much of what I do is a coping strategy, what works/doesn't and what areas some support might actually be helpful at work, how best to respond to other people's responses. But I'm getting there now which is good :)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

Hi and welcome. I'm glad that I was diagnosed at a really early age and not as late as some people.