Why are people so ignorant regarding dyspraxia ? Giving up on getting a diagnosis

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MusicL22
Getting settled in

Why are people so ignorant regarding dyspraxia ? Giving up on getting a diagnosis

Post by MusicL22 »

Hi everyone as I have said in the past me having a mild Dyspraxia was mentioned by a psychiatrist when I was 14. I forgot about it for years up until recently in light of things such as being more clumsy when stressed etc. Also a few years ago I came across the website that made me think "oh is that what the psychiatrist said ages ago?" I haven't had any formal diagnosis even though I've been trying for months.

The gp didn't know anything so they sent the checklist to the psychiatrist, I spoke to the psychiatrist about it and she said she would talk to her colleagues. She recorded it on the recorder thing they use instead of typing. She said that she would send me a letter to sign regarding getting a copy of the letters from the sessions which never came. She hadn't rang me back about getting diagnosed in over 2 months. She did say that I might have to go to the gp again but that's where I started. I went to an occupational therapist regarding getting a splint for my arm and started asking about dyspraxia there and she said "I have heard of it but I don't know much about it." Regarding my right fingers not moving as well as the left I would have to see a neurologist apparently although I am starting to use the right hand more as I have got better playing the keyboard.

My best friends mum said "It's not like they can do anything about it anyway." My best friend apparently got a diagnosis of it when she was very young. I was born 6 weeks premature, discovered brain lesions when I was 21 plus one where I got my head bashed into a tree in infant school. Apparently premature babies having long lasting things is common and can contribute to Dyspraxia. Isn't it strange also that a lot of the signs on the websites relate to most of us?

I can understand its a bit vague but you would still think people would know what to do regarding assessment or have some insight wouldn't you? It may as well be a made up thing the way people treat it. So I give up on ever getting an assessment seen as people say they are going to get back to me and don't. I'm seeing the psychiatrist this month and I may ask why she hasn't contacted me. The last time I saw her she didn't contact me because she thought I should see the gp but it was kind of rude I left messages that she didn't respond to. Has anyone else struggled to get a diagnosis and or had it mentioned to them?
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun May 06, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken into paras to aid readability
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Why are people so ignorant regarding dyspraxia ? Giving up on getting a diagnosis

Post by Tom fod »

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest writing to them as I think putting it in a formal letter to Psychiatrist CC your GP might yield results/action.

As I understand it, I believe a psyciatrist on their own cannot confirm diagnosis so you may need a Neurologist's input/professional opinion.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Re: Why are people so ignorant regarding dyspraxia ? Giving up on getting a diagnosis

Post by MusicL22 »

Thank you for the information, I've actually made a folder where I'm documenting everything I'm concerned about in the event I get anywhere.

I've noted down the timing issues on the keyboard and the fingers twisting.

I was going to say something else but I can't remember! Oh dear!
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

About a decade ago I talked to my then psychiatric care coordinator about my problems. She arranged an extra appointment with the pdoc having told him she'd told me dyspraxia was hard to diagnose. The appointment with the pdoc was a disaster. He asked a couple of irrelevant questions before curtly dismissing the issue. As I had previously been labelled 'awkward,demanding and troublesome' for seeking more help and support I was too nervous to press the issue.

In recent years on odd occasions I've tentatively dropped the A word(ASD), D word(dyspraxia) and N word(non-verbal learning disorder). It's fallen on deaf/daft ears.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

firemonkey wrote:About a decade ago I talked to my then psychiatric care coordinator about my problems. She arranged an extra appointment with the pdoc having told him she'd told me dyspraxia was hard to diagnose. The appointment with the pdoc was a disaster. He asked a couple of irrelevant questions before curtly dismissing the issue. As I had previously been labelled 'awkward,demanding and troublesome' for seeking more help and support I was too nervous to press the issue.

In recent years on odd occasions I've tentatively dropped the A word(ASD), D word(dyspraxia) and N word(non-verbal learning disorder). It's fallen on deaf/daft ears.
I completely get where your coming from, the thing is we don't always think we'll on the spot either, so when we are bombarded with something we can't answer we get quite irritated.

I've been labeled the same plus other stuff...