Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Household management Tips and ideas Pt 2

Post by Tom fod »

For Part 1 see http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=6094

Day 8 Your bag
Whether it's a handbag, man bag, briefcase or college/school bag. Dump out the entire contents and go through it, you'll be amazed what's lurking in the bottom. File away any receipts that need or wish to keep, throw away any rubbish, check dates on products/food/gum and remove if necessary. Ask yourself if you really need those extra bits and pieces that weigh you down every Day, personally I removed a pile of sugar sachets and 2 duplicated body sprays I've been lugging around for months!!

While you're at it, check your keys, any old key rings or unnecessary keys on them you can remove. (Did you know too much weight on your car keys could potentially damage your ignition barrel/car key!)

Day 9 Attic/loft
I don't expect anyone to completely clear out their attic/loft space, but go up there with a couple of black bags or boxes and try to fill them with stuff you have either forgotten about, won't ever use again or no longer need. Offer items to friends/family, donate them or do a tip run. Clear some space up there so items are easier to find, you could even go as far as boxing up remaining items and clearly labelling them so you can find your stuff straight away instead of dreading the rummage through. Don't forget to recycle those old TV/ gadget boxes that are past warranty.

I saw a crime prevention tip suggesting you should put suitcases away in loft to in make life more difficult for burglars as they don't tend to venture up there for fear of being trapped should you come home unexpectedly.

Day 10. Garden (if you have one)
Whether it's a garden shed or a storage box like mine, it ends up being a dumping ground. Take everything out, go through to remove any broken items or gone off paint etc, get rid of any items that don't need to be in there and give it a sweep out. Then you can put everything back in neatly so things can be found easier and you don't get a mountain of crap fall out every time you open the doors While you're out there check your garden for broken ornaments, solar light that don't work and broken fencing, fix or remove as necessary, you're garden will look great ready for bbq season

Day 11: Books and magazines.
We all have our favourite ones, some of us have rows and rows of them. It's time to be brutal, if you have read it already, why are you keeping it? If it's because you think you might read it again, will you? Especially if you have piles of books you haven't read yet. If it's a good book, share it, I'm sure there are others out there who would love it as much as you, so why not donate the books you have read to a Doctors/Dentist surgery, hospital or library, if your children have books they have grown out of donate them to your local nursery/school. You could even use websites that buy books like ziffit and get some money back for them. Look at the books you havent read and be true to yourself, will you get around to reading them all? Are there any books you always look past when choosing your next read? Clear out some space on your bookshelf, it will be less to dust and look less cluttered. Same with magazines, if you are keeping magazines why not try clipping out the pages you like/are useful and put them in a plastic wallet or ring binder. Then you can recycle what's left, let's face it, are you really going to read them again? Be brutal and good luck.

Day 12: car (If you have one)
This doesn't need to take long but can make your car more economical and make your car tidier and easier to use. Grab two bags, one for any bits of rubbish or food scattered around in door pockets/under seats etc. One for anything that shouldn't be in the car, excess coats and bits and bobs that have been travelling around with you unnecessarily.

Day 13: Media.
This means DVDs, blu rays, Cds etc. If you have a huge collection set it out on the floor and ask yourself if you will ever use it again or if you've seen/listened it so many times that it's scratched/damaged. If it skips or freezes get rid. If you have any you no longer want sell them on a site such as music magpie, ziffit etc. Also if they are films/music that are your favourites, keep them in a media wallet and get rid of the boxes to save yourself precious space, also meaning less to dust...
This is No No No as far as I'm concerned! and by the way what is dusting?

Day 14: Clothes.
Anything too big or too small should go straight away, if you are saving an item in case you lose weight you are just depressing yourself each time you look at it, also if you lose weight you can treat yourself to new clothes rather than old ones.
Anything damaged can go too unless you genuinely mean to fix it.
Another way is to turn all of your hangers the wrong way, once you have worn the item turn the hanger round the right way, continue this for 6 months, by the end of the 6 months anything that is still facing the wrong way, donate.
I cannot decide what is the right way!

Day 15: Asscessories - shoes, belts and bags.
Have shoes that rub, don't fit or you never wear? Donate them or give them to a friend/family member. If your shoes are worn down on the souls [they mean soles] or are falling apart, bin/recycle them. You only really need five pairs, wellies, work shoes, trainers if you excersise, everyday pumps/trainers and a pair of 'smart/going out shoes' any more and it's excess.
Belts that are wearing thin or the holes are too stretched get rid or if you have too many, pick out 3 good ones and donate the rest.
Bags, again you only really need five bags max, a weekend bag, sports bag, college/work bag, everyday bag and 'smart/going out bag'
Any more you can donate or give away, or if they are not tatty, recycle.
My rucksacks are my babies!

Tips:
Make your bed as soon as you get up in the morning, it instantly makes the room look tidier.
I dare to disagree with this. I heard you should open the window and let sunlight stream in and let it air and the UV scare/kill any dustmites

Clean as you go, if you see a drip on a cupboard etc, clean it straight away rather than having to do a big clean all at once later

if you have children, offer a reward for their help with your tidying/cleaning, a sticker chart can be helpful or even pocket money for chores

Everything has it's place. This is my motto and it really helps when tidying up. It makes everything easy to put away and find when you need it

Keep a donate box in a cupboard or the bottom of your wardrobe, every time you find something you don't want put it in the box, when it's full, take it to charity

Tip: try the konmari method, have a quick look on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdsPW0VGZA to see how it works. It will change the way you look at your clutter
The music drove me insane

Have a quick tidy before bed, it's so good for your emotional well being, waking up to a tidy house means you have more time to be productive.
is that why I was still awake at 0250?

Have children? Teach them that they must put toys away before they get more out, and to put all toys away before bed.

Open up your windows when you are cleaning, it adds a bit of freshness to your home and gives you a little boost of energy.
If it all gets too much, you can jump out of the window and escape (Oh crap I'm on the 4th Floor)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Re: Household management Tips and ideas Pt 2

Post by MusicL22 »

Tom fod wrote:For Part 1 see http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=6094

Day 8 Your bag
Whether it's a handbag, man bag, briefcase or college/school bag. Dump out the entire contents and go through it, you'll be amazed what's lurking in the bottom. File away any receipts that need or wish to keep, throw away any rubbish, check dates on products/food/gum and remove if necessary. Ask yourself if you really need those extra bits and pieces that weigh you down every Day, personally I removed a pile of sugar sachets and 2 duplicated body sprays I've been lugging around for months!!

While you're at it, check your keys, any old key rings or unnecessary keys on them you can remove. (Did you know too much weight on your car keys could potentially damage your ignition barrel/car key!)

Day 9 Attic/loft
I don't expect anyone to completely clear out their attic/loft space, but go up there with a couple of black bags or boxes and try to fill them with stuff you have either forgotten about, won't ever use again or no longer need. Offer items to friends/family, donate them or do a tip run. Clear some space up there so items are easier to find, you could even go as far as boxing up remaining items and clearly labelling them so you can find your stuff straight away instead of dreading the rummage through. Don't forget to recycle those old TV/ gadget boxes that are past warranty.

I saw a crime prevention tip suggesting you should put suitcases away in loft to in make life more difficult for burglars as they don't tend to venture up there for fear of being trapped should you come home unexpectedly.

Day 10. Garden (if you have one)
Whether it's a garden shed or a storage box like mine, it ends up being a dumping ground. Take everything out, go through to remove any broken items or gone off paint etc, get rid of any items that don't need to be in there and give it a sweep out. Then you can put everything back in neatly so things can be found easier and you don't get a mountain of crap fall out every time you open the doors While you're out there check your garden for broken ornaments, solar light that don't work and broken fencing, fix or remove as necessary, you're garden will look great ready for bbq season

Day 11: Books and magazines.
We all have our favourite ones, some of us have rows and rows of them. It's time to be brutal, if you have read it already, why are you keeping it? If it's because you think you might read it again, will you? Especially if you have piles of books you haven't read yet. If it's a good book, share it, I'm sure there are others out there who would love it as much as you, so why not donate the books you have read to a Doctors/Dentist surgery, hospital or library, if your children have books they have grown out of donate them to your local nursery/school. You could even use websites that buy books like ziffit and get some money back for them. Look at the books you havent read and be true to yourself, will you get around to reading them all? Are there any books you always look past when choosing your next read? Clear out some space on your bookshelf, it will be less to dust and look less cluttered. Same with magazines, if you are keeping magazines why not try clipping out the pages you like/are useful and put them in a plastic wallet or ring binder. Then you can recycle what's left, let's face it, are you really going to read them again? Be brutal and good luck.

Day 12: car (If you have one)
This doesn't need to take long but can make your car more economical and make your car tidier and easier to use. Grab two bags, one for any bits of rubbish or food scattered around in door pockets/under seats etc. One for anything that shouldn't be in the car, excess coats and bits and bobs that have been travelling around with you unnecessarily.

Day 13: Media.
This means DVDs, blu rays, Cds etc. If you have a huge collection set it out on the floor and ask yourself if you will ever use it again or if you've seen/listened it so many times that it's scratched/damaged. If it skips or freezes get rid. If you have any you no longer want sell them on a site such as music magpie, ziffit etc. Also if they are films/music that are your favourites, keep them in a media wallet and get rid of the boxes to save yourself precious space, also meaning less to dust...
This is No No No as far as I'm concerned! and by the way what is dusting?

Day 14: Clothes.
Anything too big or too small should go straight away, if you are saving an item in case you lose weight you are just depressing yourself each time you look at it, also if you lose weight you can treat yourself to new clothes rather than old ones.
Anything damaged can go too unless you genuinely mean to fix it.
Another way is to turn all of your hangers the wrong way, once you have worn the item turn the hanger round the right way, continue this for 6 months, by the end of the 6 months anything that is still facing the wrong way, donate.
I cannot decide what is the right way!

Day 15: Asscessories - shoes, belts and bags.
Have shoes that rub, don't fit or you never wear? Donate them or give them to a friend/family member. If your shoes are worn down on the souls [they mean soles] or are falling apart, bin/recycle them. You only really need five pairs, wellies, work shoes, trainers if you excersise, everyday pumps/trainers and a pair of 'smart/going out shoes' any more and it's excess.
Belts that are wearing thin or the holes are too stretched get rid or if you have too many, pick out 3 good ones and donate the rest.
Bags, again you only really need five bags max, a weekend bag, sports bag, college/work bag, everyday bag and 'smart/going out bag'
Any more you can donate or give away, or if they are not tatty, recycle.
My rucksacks are my babies!

Tips:
Make your bed as soon as you get up in the morning, it instantly makes the room look tidier.
I dare to disagree with this. I heard you should open the window and let sunlight stream in and let it air and the UV scare/kill any dustmites

Clean as you go, if you see a drip on a cupboard etc, clean it straight away rather than having to do a big clean all at once later

if you have children, offer a reward for their help with your tidying/cleaning, a sticker chart can be helpful or even pocket money for chores

Everything has it's place. This is my motto and it really helps when tidying up. It makes everything easy to put away and find when you need it

Keep a donate box in a cupboard or the bottom of your wardrobe, every time you find something you don't want put it in the box, when it's full, take it to charity

Tip: try the konmari method, have a quick look on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdsPW0VGZA to see how it works. It will change the way you look at your clutter
The music drove me insane

Have a quick tidy before bed, it's so good for your emotional well being, waking up to a tidy house means you have more time to be productive.
is that why I was still awake at 0250?

Have children? Teach them that they must put toys away before they get more out, and to put all toys away before bed.

Open up your windows when you are cleaning, it adds a bit of freshness to your home and gives you a little boost of energy.
If it all gets too much, you can jump out of the window and escape (Oh crap I'm on the 4th Floor)
Wow this is very proactive, when I've done these in the past it has helped a great deal. I also get bits and bobs in the bottom of bags and even spills in random places.

Same for the storage box and everything you've mentioned.

I feel this is where I've gone wrong most of my life, to do something as correctly as possible I need to give it my full attention. I do find giving my full attention to one thing at a time helps. Most of the time I've had a "I can't do it!' and stormed off or just got bored and lazy.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

How do you not know that this is not an avoidance strategy to put off my doing my housework well I tell you lot how you should be doing yours! :evilb:
LoL
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

MusicL22 wrote:
I feel this is where I've gone wrong most of my life, to do something as correctly as possible I need to give it my full attention. I do find giving my full attention to one thing at a time helps. Most of the time I've had a "I can't do it!' and stormed off or just got bored and lazy.
I regularly have an "I can't do it!" moment, and then I usually have some kind of meltdown about how I'm awful and how I can't cope and how I'm incapable of looking after a house and in fact doing anything... So I give up and cry instead.
Kohag
New member - welcome them!

Post by Kohag »

cool!