Living on Own

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

cricketman123
Getting settled in

Living on Own

Post by cricketman123 »

Hello, does anybody on here live on their own and how to they find it. I feel i am actually quite lucky in terms of my Dyspraxcia, there are a lot of people who have it worse then me. I am able to cook (Not great but better then before) and i can save money well. I love travelling as well and i study a travel course at my local college, has anyone on here ever been travelling and where do you want to go?

Anyway yeah my friend has Dyspraxcia and autism but he doesn't feel that he can live on his own or go travelling but he tries to sometimes put a negative thought in my mindset and make me think I can't do that when I know I can. I feel im more Daniel Radcliffe in terms on my dyspraxcia or Krystal from you tube both of whoom I think are great for fellow people with dyspraxcia, they are the people I inspire to be like.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Living on Own

Post by Tom fod »

I finally got my own place just over five years ago age 37 1/2 and wished I'd done it sooner. I guess I was worried about a number of things (mainly prior to me understanding/knowing about (my) dyspraxia)

I did look at renting a room in a shared house once but I guess my face didn't quite fit and I'm not sure I necessarily was that comfortable with the idea of sharing if I'm honest.

Whilst I was living back at home with Mum and Dad, before I had a mortgage, I did some travelling, going backpacking with friends to New Zealand in 2001 and 'solo' on various small group trips to the USA and Canada, where you travel round in a minibus and camp as part of a small group of 12-15 people.

I think it's really important to aspire to learning to have some measure of self sufficiency because it can really help you to have more confidence in relying on yourself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

I live on my own although my partner comes to stay with me a lot. In some ways I find it better because it's my mess that stresses me out instead of other people's mess. Also I can make things like the kitchen work for me instead of having to compromise and let other people have bits working the way they want. I know that sounds really selfish but dyspraxia does make house sharing difficult.

On the other hand, I find a lot of things difficult living on my own. I'm not very organised and I prefer stuff to be tidy so my partner coming helps me to tidy up. Also I struggle with phone calls and getting people to come to fix stuff, so on my own stuff can go for months and months without being repaired but with my partner around stuff gets done.
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

I live on my own. Things were very difficult at first but now I have 2 support workers who help me with housework, cooking, shopping, budgeting, social skills, developing my confidence. I hated living on my own at first but now I have had my own flat for 2 years I enjoy it. :D
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I live on my own. I get support with cleaning and shopping. Just had my care plan done. It says I have some difficulty with ADLs and the support is to allow me to continue living independently.
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

Sounds like the same type of support that I get. I hope it helps you.